I love entertaining. I like having people come over to my house so I don’t have to drive anywhere and I really like cooking for other people. Most of the time when we entertain I make appetizers and snacks. The most popular snacks I make are different types of dips, crostini, and desserts.
However, I like to try and have a few appetizers and snacks that are healthy and easy to put together. One of my favorites is a veggie tray with homemade dip. It’s something I make for most parties. During the summer months I end up entertaining a lot and that means a lot of prep work. By the time I have my friends over for a picnic or to sit out on the porch I don’t really want to cook a bunch of things so I’ve been looking for something easy and healthy to make.
I came up with Caprese skewers. I knew that most of friends enjoy Caprese and I thought it would be fun to stack them on skewers and drizzle them with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. They would be pick up and eat and I could make them ahead of time so they would be ready for company. What I did was put the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil on the skewers ahead of time and put them in the refrigerator. Then 30 minutes before my friends came over I drizzled them with the vinegar and oil and sprinkles them with salt and pepper.
The resulting skewers were really pretty. They were bright red, white, and green and looked super fresh. It was easy to just throw them on a plate and put them on the table. They were a big hit and I’ll be making them again in the future because they were so simple. These would be great for an appetizer or snack at any event from a picnic to a formal dinner party.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella balls
- ¼ c. fresh basil leaves
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Mini skewers
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and basil leaves on a cutting board. Place a tomato, then a mozzarella ball, then a basil leaf of the skewer. Continue alternating until the skewer is filled. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
- Refrigerate the skewers for up to 24 hours. 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving, drizzle the skewers with vinegar and olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Set the skewers on a plate and serve.
Check out these other Picnic Recipes:
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Nicoise Salad by The Petit Gourmet
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement