I am so excited that tonight Sunday Supper will be chatting LIVE from Tapa Toro in Orlando, FL. This is really the after party from the fabulous Food and Wine Conference and I’m glad to spend it with so many of my foodie friends! Since we are chatting from Tapa Toro could we have a better theme then Spanish Tapas? I think not!
When I started looking into Spanish Tapas I have to admit I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for. Tapas are a wide variety of appetizers, or snacks, in Spanish cuisine. They can be served hot or cold. In certain tapas bars in Spain they have become their own cuisine. There are many different combinations and people will often order many different tapas to share and make them into a complete meal.
So I knew I wanted to make something that was a small bite and had ingredients that hail from Spain. I immediately thought of chorizo and knew that I would be incorporating that into my recipe. I’ve been on a crostini kick for about a year now and I wanted to see how I could pile chorizo and a few other ingredients on top of crostini to make a tasty tapas dish. The rest of my recipe was built around the chorizo. Since chorizo is so spicy I wanted to pair it with an apple so that the sweetness would balance it out. Apples pair well with cheese and Spain is known for their Manchego cheese so I went with that. I piled it all on a slice of crostini and my recipe was in the works.
I had to tweak the recipe a little bit because I wanted the bread to be toasted and the chorizo to be warm but I didn’t want to heat up the cheese or the apple. I ended up grilling the bread on a grill pan then topping it with the cheese, apple, and hot chorizo. The heat from the bread and the chorizo melted the cheese but left the apple crisp.
My husband was very unsure when tasting my Spanish Tapas. However, I could tell by the look on his face that he liked it. The crunch of the bread with the creaminess of the cheese, sweetness of the apple, and spicy chorizo was like a burst of flavors in the mouth. It’s such a simple dish to make but it packs so much flavor. This is definitely one of our new favorite tapas.
- 6 oz. chorizo
- 1 baguette, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 T. butter
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. Manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 T. cilantro, chopped
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Spread the baguette slices with a thin layer of butter. Place them butter side down in the grill pan and cook for 3 minutes or until they are hot, crisp, and have grill marks on them. Place the slices on a platter.
- Top each crostini with 1-2 slices of Manchego cheese, 2-3 slices of apple, and then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of chorizo. Top with a pinch of chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla de Camarones by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board