Do you know what today is? It's National Hummus Day! You know I'm going to be celebrating today with my favorite brand of hummus. In fact, I've had some of my favorite hummus recipes using Sabra hummus this week. On Monday we had this delicious Hummus Crusted Chicken with Peppers and Broccoli and then on Wednesday we had this easy Ginger Walnut Hummus with tortilla chips and veggies as our unofficial meal before dinner.
Today we're having a new appetizer before dinner to celebrate National Hummus Day. I tried it last weekend and let me tell you, this dish did not turn out the way I wanted it to. When I visualized it I pictured wonton wrappers in mini muffin tins filled with hummus chicken and topped with fresh herbs and vegetables. I went to the market before work and picked up all the ingredients. I lugged them in to work with me and put them in my refrigerator. I did all of this before 8am and was feeling pretty good about myself.
I got home from work around 4:00 and sat on the couch for a half hour just chilling after a long week of work. At 4:30 I went into the kitchen to make my appetizer and realization hit me. I left the entire bag of ingredients at work in my refrigerator. It was not 4:30 on a Friday and there was no way anyone would be at school to let me in. I didn't feel like going to the market so I raided my refrigerator and pantry looking for items to make something similar to my vision.
I ended up with enough Greek ingredients to make Greek Hummus Chicken Bites. I had no wonton wrappers but I had tortillas. However, when I went to put the tortillas in the muffin tins I found I couldn't get them to fit the way I wanted. I improvised by cutting the tortillas into fourths and putting two of the in the muffin cups and spraying them with cooking spray. I baked them in the oven for 10 minutes and hoped that the tortillas would stick together to form a shell.
Guess what? It worked! The tortillas had turned into crispy little bowls ready to be filled. I quickly filled them with hummus chicken, tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese, and cilantro. That's it! These were super quick and easy to make. My husband and I grabbed a plate of them and chowed down. I loved how crispy the shells were and how bright and flavorful the hummus chicken was from the Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus. The toppings added beautiful color to the dish and a little bit more flavor.
We each ate three of these hummus chicken bites and then I put the rest in the refrigerator since I was getting ready to make dinner. These bites were a delicious quick and easy snack to enjoy before dinner. They were filling enough that we wouldn't be grabbing for snacks before dinner but light enough that we would still want to eat dinner.
The best part was that the next day when I took them out of the refrigerator the shells were still crispy! Usually when I put things in the refrigerator it makes them soggy but that wasn't the case for these. We enjoyed them again the next day in afternoon and they held us over until dinnertime. So grab yourself some tortillas, your favorite flavor of Sabra hummus, and some leftover chicken and make these tasty Greek Hummus Chicken Bites to celebrate National Hummus Day yourself!
Don't have any Sabra hummus in the house? Don't fret! Head on over to Sabra.com and grab yourself a coupon, TODAY ONLY, until midnight! It's Sabra's way of saying Happy National Hummus Day!
- 5 small flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- ¼ c. Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- ½ t. oregano
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 5 black olives, sliced
- 3 T. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 T. cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the tortillas into quarters. Place two tortilla quarters in each tin, pointy sides overlapping. Make sure the tortillas overlap and form a bowl. Do this in 10 of the muffin cups. Spray each tortilla bowl with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the tortillas are browning but not burnt. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing to a platter or plate.
- Meanwhile, combine the shredded chicken, Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus, salt, pepper, and oregano in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each tortilla cup. Top with a few pieces of tomato and olives then place a half teaspoon of feta cheese on top. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
This post was sponsored by Sabra as part of the Sabra Tastemakers Program. All opinions, photographs, and writing is 100% my own.