Every year when December rolls around I get crazy busy. Every year I tell myself I’m not going to make as many cookies. I only put 20 dozen online and that’s not too bad. Then I get people asking me if I’m going to be baking any cookies and suddenly I’ve got orders for 40-50 dozen.
In addition to that school is always crazy busy and the kids are having trouble concentrating. We have parties to go to and people to see. There are presents to buy and wrap. Then I start thinking about what I’m going to give my family for homemade gifts.
Every year I buy presents for my parents, my brother, my cousin, and my husband. Then we do a grab bag for everyone else in the family. I like to get everyone something so I tend to make them something homemade. One year I did homemade jams, another I did homemade salsa, one year I did flavored popcorn, and another year I did cookies.
This year I found these super cute plastic ornaments at a local store. They were clear and fairly big. I bought a bunch of them in hopes of using them for something. After debating what to make, I pulled these out and thought how cute they would be if I filled them with hot chocolate!
So the hot chocolate ornaments were created. I made some easy homemade hot cocoa powder and went from there. I made a triple chocolate hot cocoa with homemade marshmallows and then I made a peppermint hot cocoa with peppermint marshmallows.
They turned out adorable once they were in the ornaments. My family loved them and the best part was they were quick and easy to put together. They were also fairly cheap so it was a win-win overall. I think I might make these for everyone next year!
- 4 c. sugar
- 2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 c. peppermint mini marshmallows
- ½ c. crushed peppermints
- 1 c. homemade mini marshmallows (or store bought)
- ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. mini chocolate chips
- 12 clear, plastic ornaments
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and semi-sweet chocolate. Mix well and set aside.
- Using a funnel, pour ½ cup of the cocoa mix into each ornament.
- For the peppermint hot cocoa, place about 3-4 tablespoons of peppermint marshmallows on top of the hot cocoa mix. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of crushed peppermints. Put the lid on the ornaments.
- For the triple chocolate hot cocoa, place 1-2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of the hot cocoa mix. Then place 3-4 tablespoons of mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate chips. Finally, sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips on top of the marshmallows. Put the lid on the ornaments.
- To finish the ornaments type up a slip of paper saying, "To make the hot cocoa, shake the ornament to combine the ingredients. Pour 3-4 tablespoons of mix and marshmallows into 1½ cups of steamed milk. Stir well and enjoy."
- Tie the paper onto the ornament with pretty ribbon and give as gifts!