In the summer we eat a lot of cold side dishes. It’s nice to spend a day making side dishes and then to enjoy them all week long for lunch or dinner. These cold side dishes are also perfect for taking on a picnic. This week the Sunday Supper Movement is sharing favorite picnic recipes!
I have so many favorite recipes that are perfect for a picnic that it was hard to decide which one to share. A lot of my picnic recipes are either variations of cole slaw, potato salad, or macaroni salad. I also like to take no bake desserts with me when I go to a cookout or a picnic.
This week I’m sharing a recipe for Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad. This is a cold salad that takes all the best flavors from jalapeno poppers and mixes them together with classic macaroni salad. It has jalapenos, bacon, cheese, and macaroni noodles all combined with a mayonnaise and sour cream dressing.
The resulting macaroni salad is awesome. It starts out tasting like regular pasta salad but then it heats up in your mouth. The jalapenos definitely add a spicy kick to this dish. Then the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, or cheddar cheese cool it down and add a lot of flavor. The bacon simply adds flavor and salt. It’s a great side dish that’s perfect for a picnic.
- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 1 c. canned or jarred jalapenos, chopped
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- ¾ c. light sour cream
- 4 T. cream cheese, softened
- 1 T. brown mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl combine the macaroni noodles, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Toss to combine then set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Add the dressing to the macaroni salad and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park #SundaySupper
Starters, Skewers, and Sandwiches al Fresco
- Antipasto Skewers by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Slider Sandwiches by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Italian Layered Portable Picnic Jars by The Weekend Gourmet
- Low Carb Ham Pinwheels by Cricket’s Confections
- Patatas Brava Chorizo Sausage Rolls by Food Lust People Love
- Refrigerator Pickled Ratatouille Vegetables by My Life Cookbook
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps by The Crumby Kitchen
Stow-and-Go Sides and Salads
- Authentic German Potato Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Avocado Bacon Loaded Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad by Cooking With Carlee
- Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash by Caroline’s Cooking
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad by Family Foodie
- Southern Cornbread Salad by Gourmet Everyday
- Summer Quinoa Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad by Bites of Wellness
Drinks and Desserts for Outdoor Dining
- Banana Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blueberry Hand Pies by Our Good Life
- Cantaloupe Mint Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Cherry Poke Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Caramel Layer Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Cherry No Bake Bars by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Fruit Drink by Basic N Delicious
- Rice Krispie Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement