This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItAMovieNight #CollectiveBias
Hands up! How many of you read the Goosebumps series when you were a kid? I did! R.L. Stine was one of my favorite authors as a kid because I was totally into thrillers and scary books. I was in junior high when the series came out which may have been a bit on the older side for a Goosebumps reader but because R. L. Stine was one of my favorite authors I ended up reading many of the books in this series.
Fast forward 20 years and now I'm teaching elementary school kids. I was super excited when the Goosebumps books started to become popular again. Many of my students enjoy reading them and several of them recently told me that there is a Goosebumps movie! How did I not know this?
I was excited to see I could buy a copy of Goosebumps. I love going to the movies and loading up on popcorn, candy, and soda but it's so expensive! I'd much rather have a movie night at home with my husband and stock up on Coke Zero or Coca-Cola, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, and Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn.
I headed to Walmart to see if I could find a copy of the movie and to pick up snacks for movie night. Walmart has a great Movie Night package going on. Simply buy 4 participating products including Sony New Releases, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, Orville Redenbacher popcorn, and Coca-Cola in one transaction then go HERE and upload your receipt. You will receive a $10 VUDU movie code by e-mail while supplies last! Hurry because this special movie night package is only available until February 9, 2016.
I was able to pick up everything I needed and get 4 items on the movie night package list! Score! I found a copy of Goosebumps, bought a 6-pack of Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn, a 6-pack of Coca-Cola ½ liter bottles, and a couple of these cute MARS Milk Chocolate and Peanut M&M’S® Chocolate Candies in 3.5 ounce canisters perfect for movie watching!
I was hoping to have a movie night with my husband this past weekend and since we ended up being stuck in the Blizzard of 2016 with over 2 feet of snow it was the perfect time to stay indoors and watch a movie. Since my husband had to go outside and shovel snow I wanted to make a special movie night treat in addition to the popcorn, candy, and soda.
Let me tell you something about snow days. I hate the cold and I hate the snow but I love being in the kitchen whipping up some baked goods in front of the warm oven. I also get some pretty crazy ideas when I stuck inside and these Movie Theater Cupcakes are one of them! I will say, I was really pleased with how well they turned out. Not only did they look fun and inviting they tasted great!
I started out with a chocolate cake boxed mix. Not every cupcake I make has to be homemade, especially when I'm focusing more on the decorating of the cupcake instead of the actual cake part of the cupcake. I whipped up the chocolate cupcakes and put them in the oven. While they were baking I popped two bags of my Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn. I poured it out on a sheet of waxed paper and tossed it with some of my M&M’S® Chocolate Candies.
Then I melted some chocolate and drizzled it over top of the popcorn and left it to harden. Meanwhile, I made a classic buttercream frosting. To jazz it up I divided it into two bowls and made one a Coca-Cola buttercream frosting and the other a caramel frosting.
When the cupcakes were cool I frosted half of them with the Coca-Cola frosting and the other half with the caramel frosting. Then I stuck the popcorn and M&M’S® Chocolate Candies balls on top! Talk about the ultimate Movie Theater Cupcakes! A chocolate cake with Coca-Cola frosting and an M&M’S® Chocolate Candies and popcorn ball on top.
When my husband came in from shoveling snow he promptly got a fire going. I popped another bag of Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn, got the Coca-Cola and Coke Zero bottles out, and took out two canisters of M&M’S® Chocolate Candies (plain for me and peanut for him). Then I put out the cupcakes.
We snuggled up on the couch in front of the fire with a tray of snacks and watched the Goosebumps movie. The cupcakes were amazing! They were the perfect treat to go along with the soda, candy, and popcorn. Plus the movie was really enjoyable to watch. Having a movie night with my husband may have been my favorite way to enjoy a snow day yet!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 c. water
- ⅓ c. oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 bags Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn
- 1 c. M&M’S® Chocolate Candies
- ½ c. milk chocolate chips
- ½ c. candy melts, any color
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. caramel flavoring
- 2-3 T. Coca-Cola
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chocolate cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. Mix well for 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Pour the cake mix into the cupcake liners, filling them ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or according to the directions on the box. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, pop the Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn according to the package directions. Open the bags and dump them onto a large sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle the M&M’S® Chocolate Candies over top of the popcorn.
- Get the now empty muffin tins and bring them to the table where you are making the popcorn balls.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Put the melted chocolate in a zip top baggie and snip off the end. Drizzle over top of the popcorn.
- Before the chocolate is able to harden quickly pick up ¼ cup of the popcorn, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, and chocolate mixture and put it into one of the empty muffin cups. Repeat until all of the popcorn is in a muffin tin.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Put the melted candy melts in a zip top baggie and snip off the end. Drizzle over top of the popcorn balls making sure to get around the outer edge and on top to help the popcorn balls stick together. Allow the chocolate to harden for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by combining the butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar in a large bowl. Using a mixer, beat on medium speed until smooth. Add in the milk and vanilla and mix well. Add in the remaining powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. Add the caramel flavoring to one bowl and the Coca-Cola to the other frosting. Mix well and add either milk or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost half of the cupcakes with the caramel frosting and the other half with the Coca-Cola frosting.
- Carefully run a butter knife around the edge of the popcorn balls in the muffin tins and carefully lift out of the pan and place on top of the cupcakes. Enjoy!