The Best Potato Salad is made with potatoes, hard boiled eggs, scallions, and pickle relish and is perfect for summer BBQ's and cook outs!
In the summer we like to have cold salads around to serve with our dinner entrees. It's nice to make several salads on the weekend and then have them all week long.
I usually make pasta salad, potato salad, cole slaw, or macaroni salad. I've got several recipes for each so I like to rotate them so we aren't having the same exact thing each week.
I've been looking for a new potato salad recipe because while I like the ones I have, two of them are filled with extras like bacon and cheese, and the others are regular potato salad recipes. I wasn't sure what I was looking for but I wanted something new.
I found a recipe for the best Potato Salad and looked through it. It had pickle relish, scallions, hard boiled eggs, and a sweet and spicy seasoning mix. It sounded good and it was different from my other recipes so I gave it a try.
- pickle relish
- kosher salt
- yellow mustard
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
- brown sugar
- cayenne pepper
- hard boiled eggs
To Make the Potatoes: Cut the potatoes into ½ inch pieces. Put in a saucepan of boiling water. Simmer for 10 minutes then drain. Rinse with cold water.
To Make the Dressing: In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, relish, salt, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
While the original recipe calls for red skinned potatoes, all I had were Russet potatoes so that's what I used. You can use any type of potatoes.
The thing I was most worried about was the hard boiled eggs. I don't love making hard boiled eggs because sometimes they turn out and sometimes they don't.
However, I've started making hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot and it's been life changing! They come out perfectly every single time and they are easy to make.
What type of potatoes should I use?
The type of potato you use is up to you. The original recipe called for red skinned potatoes but I used Russet. You can use any type you'd like in this recipe.
Can I add other vegetables?
You can certainly add other vegetables if you'd like. I often like to add chopped celery or red onions. However, use whatever you like!
Do I have to add the hard boiled eggs?
While you don't have to add the hard boiled eggs they are a big part of this recipe and add a lot of flavor to the salad. If you want you can just add hard boiled egg whites.
How do I store this?
Store it in an air tight container for up to 4 days. Make sure to refrigerate after using as it has mayonnaise in it and needs to be kept in the refrigerator.
The overall potato salad was easy to make. It took about 25 minutes to make due to cooking the potatoes and the eggs. Otherwise it's just mixing everything together.
I like the combination of spices in this potato salad. It's a little bit sweet, a little bit savory, and a little bit spicy. The pickle relish adds a nice depth of flavor as well.
More Potato Salad Recipes:
- Loaded Barbecue Potato Salad
- All American Potato Salad
- Dijon Potato Salad
- Southern Style Potato Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
Overall this is a good, solid potato salad. It's not too sweet or too spicy so it would be a good one to take to a cook out or a BBQ because everyone would enjoy it.
If you want to get a little creative you could add in some bacon or cheese but it has a lot of great flavor as it is. This is one we will be making all summer long!
If you’ve tried my The Best Potato Salad or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 2 ½ lb. potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 ½ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. sweet pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ c. thinly sliced scallions
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Place potatoes in a large sauce pan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, relish, salt, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, brown sugar, and pepper.
- Add the potatoes, scallions, and eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Garnish with additional scallions and paprika if desired.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine (June 2022)
- Chicken Caesar Salad from That Recipe
- Creamy Bacon Tomato Pasta Salad from Blogghetti
- Greek Panzanella from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Greek Salad with Grape Tomatoes and Feta from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Italian Sub Salad from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Skillet Radish Bacon Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Southwestern Oven-Fried Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Spinach Salad from Magical Ingredients
- The Best Potato Salad from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks