As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
As you know I work 5 days a week as a teacher and when I come home from work I’m often exhausted. I don’t want to spend a lot of time on dinner because I’d much prefer sitting down and relaxing, maybe watching some TV, or reading book. So I’m super excited that this weeks Sunday Supper theme is Easy Skillet Meals.
I love meals that can be entirely made in one skillet. Not only are they usually simple but there isn’t much to clean up either. Many skillet meals are also ready in 30 minutes or less so they are perfect for enjoying on a busy weekday.
I know this won’t surprise anyone but my one skillet meal is a pasta dish. In the past year or two I’ve made a handful of dishes using pasta in one pan. I’ve learned that it’s simple to cook the pasta with the sauce at the same time. That means one less dish to dirty and also everything is finished at the same time.
My recipe is for Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and vegetables. There are a lot of ingredients involved but everything is cooked in the same skillet. I do cook the chicken first before adding any other ingredients but after the chicken is removed everything else goes into the skillet.
This Fettuccine Alfredo recipe is easy and delicious. The alfredo sauce is actually a light version but it tastes really good. The chicken adds a protein and the vegetables add color, flavor, and nutrition to this tasty weeknight meal.
I like that the lemon is added in the end because it really helps to brighten up the pasta. It gives it just a hint of the lemon but it works nicely with both the chicken and the vegetables. While I used zucchini, squash, peppers, broccoli, and onions, you can use basically any vegetables you have on hand. I happen to have the zucchini, squash, and onions from my CSA and since broccoli is my favorite vegetable I almost always have it in the refrigerator.
I tried to choose vegetables that would taste good in an alfredo sauce but also that would all cook at a similar time. It worked out well as the vegetables were tender but not overcooked in this dish.
I like that I was able to have it completed, start to finish, in just over 30 minutes. The flavor is really delicious. It’s a rich creamy sauce lightened up with the lemon juice and vegetables. The chicken is tender and pairs well with the tender crisp vegetables.
So if you are looking for a delicious meal that can be cooked and on the table in 30 minutes make sure to give this one a try!
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz. fettuccine noodles
- 1 c. broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 zucchini
- 1 squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Add the oil to a large skillet with a lid and saute the chicken for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the pan.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut the zucchini and squash in half lengthwise and then chop. Chop the bell pepper and onion as well and set aside.
- Wipe out the inside of the skillet and heat over medium heat. Combine the fettuccine noodles, chicken broth, milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in the skillet. Put the lid on and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir twice during this cooking time.
- Remove the lid and stir well. Add in the broccoli, zucchini, squash, bell pepper, and onion. Place the lid back on and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir, then add the cream cheese to the pan. Stir until completely incorporated into the noodles, sauce, and vegetables. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, heavy cream, lemon juice, garlic cloves, and chicken. Stir until well combined.
- Return to heat and cook 2-3 minutes or until everything is heated through.
A Hezzi-D original recipe