Today was conference day at school. There are good things and bad things about conference day. The best thing is that I didn’t have to go into work until 10am so I got to sleep in today. It was a busy day filled with conferences but I did get to see a few of my students who came in with their parents. The down side of conference day is the hectic schedule and not getting home until 6pm.
So by the time I got home I was tired and not motivated at all to cook dinner. When I went in the kitchen I wanted to make pasta because it’s quick and easy. This recipe combines a lot of my favorite ingredients into one fantastic dish. It not only bursts with flavor from the artichokes, sausage, spinach, and tomatoes, it’s brightly colored and beautiful too.
Pasta with Sausage, Spinach, and Artichokes (adapted from Taste of Home )
12 oz. rotini
1 t. olive oil
1/3 lb. spicy turkey sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 c. artichokes, quartered
1/3 c. sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. oregano
1 t. parsley
3/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. white wine
2 c. fresh spinach
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of pasta water. Keep pasta warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the sausage in the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the onions, mushrooms, artichokes, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to the skillet. Mix well to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Toss in the spinach and cook until just wilted.
5. Add the pasta to the pan with the vegetables, along with the reserved pasta water, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and serve hot.