There is nothing quite like a fresh pot of marinara sauce. I love pasta and pizza and while I’ll put store bought sauce on them in a pinch, it’s totally worth it to make my own sauce. Tuttorosso is Celebrating the Sauce with fun new recipes!
Tuttorosso sent me a kit to help me Celebrate the Sauce. Included in my kit was 28 oz. Crushed Tomatoes with Basil, 28 oz. Peeled Plum Italian Style Tomatoes, 28 oz. Tomato Sauce, a Tuttorosso apron, a Tuttorosso wooden spoon, and some delicious recipes!
The sauce recipe that caught my eye was the Buttery Tomato Sauce with Onion. There are just 4 ingredients other then salt and pepper and it’s super easy to make. It also has a lot of flavor and is great on pasta or as a sauce on a pizza. I made the sauce this past Sunday to put on a pizza for dinner. The entire kitchen smelled wonderful as it was simmering on the stove. It made the whole house warm and cozy.
I did make one change to the recipe. Instead of removing the onions at the end of the cooking time, I diced one of the onions and left it in the sauce. I think it added a little more flavor to the sauce. This recipe makes a lot of sauce so I froze the sauce I didn’t use to put on my meatballs this weekend! This is seriously the easiest tomato sauce you are ever going to make and you’ll be surprised by just how flavorful it is.
- 2 (28 oz) cans Tuttorosso Peeled Plum Italian Style Tomatoes, crushed
- ½ t. sugar
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 2 yellow onions, 1 peeled and quartered, the other peeled and diced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Bring Tuttorosso Peeled Plum Italian Style Tomatoes, sugar, butter, and onions to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally and mashing any large pieces of tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 45 minutes or until flavors are blended and sauce is slightly reduced.
- Remove the onion quarters and season the sauce with salt and pepper before serving.
Tuttorosso provided me with this gift package and is providing the giveaway prize. All opinions and photos are 100% my own.