It’s that time of the year again. School is super busy, the weather is cold, and when I get home I don’t want to cook. It’s definitely time to pull out the slow cooker. The only problem is that my husband isn’t a fan of the slow cooker. He thinks it either cooks things to death or dries them out so I’m been clipping recipes I think he’ll enjoy.
This is a pork recipe. I think pork is one of the best things to cook in a slow cooker. My husband isn’t a huge pork fan but I really thought he’d like the flavors in this dish. It’s a pulled pork lettuce wrap. Now this isn’t your tradition pork in BBQ sauce. This is pork in an Asian BBQ sauce which isn’t really a red sauce. It’s got a soy base with a little bit of spice and a whole lot of flavor.
I wasn’t sure what to expect but the scent that greeted me when I got home was mouthwatering. It smelled like soy and spice and pork. I quickly cleaned a few lettuce leaves and chopped up some radishes to put on top. I’m not a huge radish fan but my husband is. We’ve been getting a bunch every week with our CSA so there were plenty in the refrigerator.
We put the pork on the lettuce wraps and topped them with the radishes. The crunch of the lettuce with the delicious pork and topped with slightly peppery radishes was amazing! We both ate multiple lettuce wraps and enjoyed every bite. My husband even told me to save this recipe he liked it so much.
We had a ton leftover so I figured we’d have it for dinner again the next day. On a whim I made pulled pork nachos instead of the pulled pork lettuce wraps and they were super tasty. I piled on this pulled pork, cheese, green chilies, salsa, and sour cream and it made a delicious nacho dish perfect for dinner or game day.
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. salt
- 1 (2½ lb) boneless pork loin
- 1 T. ginger, grated
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. chili paste
- 3 T. soy sauce
- ⅓ c. BBQ sauce
- 2 t. black pepper
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 c. thinly sliced radishes
- Combine sugar and salt in a bowl. Rub over pork loin, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate over night.
- Place the pork loin in a slow cooker and turn on low heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the ginger, rice vinegar, chicken stock, garlic cloves, chili paste, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, and black pepper. Mix well and pour over top of the pork.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours remove the lid and shred the pork.
- Spoon pork into lettuce leaves and top with radishes.