Today I have a delicious recipe using three of my favorite ingredients: caramel, chocolate, and coffee! I’m sharing a recipe for Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes. These cupcakes are insane! They start which a rich chocolate cupcake and are topped off with a salted caramel frosting.
In order to make the cupcakes super rich and chocolatey I use a combination of coffee and cocoa powder. In this case I used Caveman Coffee which is a sponsor of Choctoberfest. Caveman Coffee is hand picked, wet processed and small batch roasted by their master coffee roaster located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It has a wonderful aroma and flavor and it goes perfectly with these chocolate cupcakes.
The cupcakes have a deep chocolate flavor and are super moist from the coffee in them . After they cooled I whipped up a batch of salted caramel frosting. It’s a basic buttercream frosting recipe mixed with sea salt and caramel. It’s rich, fluffy, and light in comparison to the heavier chocolate cupcakes.
Now we bring in the big guns. After the cupcakes are frosted I like to add a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt. Then to tie all of the flavors together, I topped the cupcakes off with a chocolate covered espresso bean.
Believe me when I say the chocolate lover in your life will thank you for making these rich Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes for them. They not only taste great but they look gorgeous too! Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes are great for parties, holidays, or sharing with your family.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 c. brewed Caveman Coffee, cooled
- ¼ c. cocoa powder
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3 T. caramel ice cream topping
- 1 t. sea salt
- ¼ c. caramel ice cream topping
- 1 T. sea salt
- 12 chocolate covered espresso beans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the coffee and cocoa powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the coffee and cocoa mixture and mix until incorporated. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ of the way full with the batter. You may have a little extra batter and can make additional cupcakes if desired.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting place the butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in 2 cups of the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Beat in the vanilla and caramel.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar a half cup at a time until desired consistency is reached. Stir in the sea salt.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with the salted caramel frosting.
- Drizzle the cupcakes with the caramel and sprinkle with the sea salt. Top each one with a chocolate covered espresso bean.