I’ve been loving my homemade spiced soda. It’s similar to gingerale but has a few more spices in it. It’s lower in sugar, free from preservatives, and I can make it as strong or as weak as I like. Since it was such a success I’ve been trying out some other homemade soda recipes.
My newest favorite is this grapefruit soda. I like it because it’s bright and refreshing and it’s also perfect for this weeks Sunday Supper theme of Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile. I used fresh squeezed juice from the grapefruit I used for the peel. One tip on using the rind of the grapefruit; make sure you don’t peel the white part with the peel or else your soda will be slightly bitter.
The syrup for this soda is made with sugar, water, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, and the rinds of some grapefruits and lemons. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart. I only have to add a tablespoon or so to a glass of seltzer water for a refreshing citrus drink.
While this syrup is meant to make sodas with I’ve found two other great uses for it as well. I like to pour it over top of pancakes with wedges of grapefruit and oranges for a delicious citrus breakfast. It’s also really good drizzled on top of vanilla ice cream.
So if you are debating whether or not to give this a try I say do it! You’ll feel better about drinking your own homemade soda then drinking the store bought stuff and you can use the syrup in so many different ways!
- 9 T. sugar
- 1 c. water
- ⅔ c. fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ t. ginger
- Rind of 1 lemon, sliced into strips
- Rind of 2 grapefruits, sliced into strips
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture to remove the solids and store in a glass jar for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To make a soda combine 1-2 tablespoons of the grapefruit syrup with 12 oz. of seltzer water. Stir and enjoy.
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement