I've been loving my homemade spiced soda. It's similar to gingerale but has a few more spices in it. It's lower in sugar, free from preservatives, and I can make it as strong or as weak as I like. Since it was such a success I've been trying out some other homemade soda recipes.
My newest favorite is this grapefruit soda. I like it because it's bright and refreshing and it's also perfect for this weeks Sunday Supper theme of Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile. I used fresh squeezed juice from the grapefruit I used for the peel. One tip on using the rind of the grapefruit; make sure you don't peel the white part with the peel or else your soda will be slightly bitter.
The syrup for this soda is made with sugar, water, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, and the rinds of some grapefruits and lemons. It's the perfect combination of sweet and tart. I only have to add a tablespoon or so to a glass of seltzer water for a refreshing citrus drink.
While this syrup is meant to make sodas with I've found two other great uses for it as well. I like to pour it over top of pancakes with wedges of grapefruit and oranges for a delicious citrus breakfast. It's also really good drizzled on top of vanilla ice cream.
So if you are debating whether or not to give this a try I say do it! You'll feel better about drinking your own homemade soda then drinking the store bought stuff and you can use the syrup in so many different ways!
- 9 T. sugar
- 1 c. water
- ⅔ c. fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ t. ginger
- Rind of 1 lemon, sliced into strips
- Rind of 2 grapefruits, sliced into strips
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture to remove the solids and store in a glass jar for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To make a soda combine 1-2 tablespoons of the grapefruit syrup with 12 oz. of seltzer water. Stir and enjoy.
Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine
More Citrus Recipes
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline's Cooking
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life