Did you know that April is Grilled Cheese month? Earlier in the month I posted a delicious Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese and this week Sunday Supper is celebrating with a ton of mouthwatering sandwiches! I actually had a whole list of grilled cheese sandwiches that I wanted to make so all I needed to do was pick the one I wanted to make!
I wanted to do something a little bit different so I decided on a sweet grilled cheese sandwich instead of a savory one. The one I made was a Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese. This means that it’s the perfect sandwich for breakfast or dessert.
I started out with a hearty Italian bread because it seems to make the best grilled cheese sandwiches. I dipped just one side in a French Toast mixture. I didn’t want to dip both sides because the inside of the sandwich doesn’t get toasted and would have raw egg on it. Be careful when you complete this step so that the egg mixture only gets on the outside of the sandwich.
Then I layered mascarpone cheese and strawberries on the inside. The outside of the bread turned out perfectly. It tasted just like French Toast. The mascarpone inside melted into the bread and on the strawberries. This meant the sandwich was very messy but it made it that much better.
I love this sweet version of a grilled cheese sandwich. I even sprinkled it with powdered sugar to finish it off. I personally like it as a dessert sandwich but it would be good as a breakfast sandwich as well in place of French Toast. It was very different from a traditional grilled cheese but it was just as delicious!
- 4 slices of Italian bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. sugar
- ⅓ c. mascarpone cheese
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ½ c. strawberries, sliced
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- In a small bowl combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Dip one side of two pieces of bread into the egg mixture and place in the pan.
- Divide the mascarpone cheese mixture between the two pieces of bread in the pan and smooth evenly.
- Top with one or two layers of strawberries.
- Carefully dip one side of the remaining pieces of bread into the egg mixture and place the bread, egg side up, on top of the sandwiches in the pan.
- After cooking for 3-4 minutes very carefully flip over the sandwiches and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan, cut in half, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Not Your Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement