I’ve been on a baked oatmeal cup this last month. I make a batch on Sunday and then I eat them all week long. It’s an easy and filling breakfast that keeps me going until lunch and I can eat them one handed which is important when I’m feeding the baby.
I love making oatmeal cups because you can put whatever you want in them. The basic recipe is just oats, some type of fruit, milk, eggs, and some type of sweetener. I like using brown sugar the best. Then you can throw in fruit, nuts, and any spices that you might want.
For this creation I wanted to use fall flavors so I added in apples, cinnamon, and vanilla. I wanted to add in nuts but I forgot when I was making the oatmeal so I didn’t this time. Once I mixed everything together I spooned the batter into individual muffin cups and baked them.
They smelled delicious as they were baking. The sweet apples and the spiciness of the cinnamon smelled like fall. When they came out of the oven I cooled them on a wire rack and then put then in an air tight container until morning.
The oatmeal cups had a little more moisture then I normally like but they tasted great. The apples added a lot of sweetness to the oatmeal and the cinnamon added a nice bit of spice. The flax seeds added some additional texture as well. These were super filling and perfect for taking with me when I was on the go.
- 2 c. oats
- ¼ c. flax seeds
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1¼ c. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. apples, chopped (I used honeycrisp)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, flax seeds, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins filling ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are brown and the oatmeal is set.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.