I’m not a huge donut person but when I do eat them I like baked donuts and I like them with fruit in them. I usually make a quick donut batter and pop it in my donut pan. I love my donut pan because it makes baking donuts a snap.
However, sometimes it’s just not convenient to whip up donut batter or I don’t have the ingredients or I just want something different. These Peach Puff Pastry Donuts are a great alternative to traditional baked donuts. They are light, flaky, and totally delicious.
I will say these donuts aren’t as easy to make as traditional baked donuts because they have a filling and a glaze and both of those take time. I think both of those elements simply add to the flavor of the donuts and make them even better. Plus, who doesn’t like peaches?
To make these donuts I needed to find two circular cookie cutters so I could cut out the donut shape. Just make sure you have a large circle and a small circle. I actually used a mini flower cutter for the center because it was all I could find and it worked just fine.
After the donuts are baked I use the donuts in half and put the peach filling inside of each one. The original directions said to cut the donuts into 3 pieces but I found cutting them in half was easier and it still tasted good. Then once they are filled you can drizzle them with the glaze.
The resulting donuts are actually closer to a cronut because it’s a flaky pastry donut stuffed with fresh peaches and topped off with a sweet glaze. These are great for anyone who likes fruit filled donuts. They are perfect for breakfast or even dessert!
- 1 (17 oz) box puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 peaches, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 T. water
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. milk
- ½ t. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on a cutting board and brush all over with the egg. Unfold the second sheet, put it on top of the first sheet, and press together to seal.
- Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 rounds. Cut out the middles with a 1 inch cookie cutter.
- Arrange the 8 donut rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make the filling combine the peaches, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat and refrigerate until thick.
- To make the glaze whisk the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife cut each donut in half horizontally. Spread the peach filling on the bottom ring and top with the other ring. Drizzle with the glaze.
- Let glaze harden 15 minutes and enjoy!