Winters in my tiny town in Maryland are cold. When I tell people we get a lot of snow and they find out I live in Maryland they seem surprised. However, I live pretty close to the highest elevation. The difference here is crazy. I work 10 miles from where I live and we might have 6 inches of snow where I live and flurries where I work.
So in the winter I make a lot of soup. Soup is the perfect meal because it warms me up, is filling, and there is always plenty left over for lunches during the week. My only problem is that I make the same soups over and over again. The ones we have frequently are beef vegetable, potato, chili, and chicken noodle.
Lately I’ve been keeping my eyes open for soup recipes that are a little bit different. This Vegetable Soup with Meatballs is similiar to the vegetable soup I make but it has meatballs in it instead of beef. I love that little twist on the classic vegetable soup.
Now you can make your own meatballs or use store bought. Make sure you use cocktail meatballs or make them small so that they are bite sized in your soup. You can also put any vegetables you’d like in the soup. I like to put whatever I have left in my vegetable bin along with potatoes, carrots, and onions.
This soup is great to make ahead and freeze for later. One recipe makes two batches of soup. I made one recipe prior to having my baby and froze both bags. We’ve enjoyed both of them since and they are delicious. The broth is actually made with chicken broth and marinara sauce so that combined with the meatballs gives it an Italian flavor. It’s perfect for cold winter nights!
- 2 lb. cocktail or small meatballs
- 3 (24 oz) jars of marinara sauce
- 1 pound baby carrots, chopped
- 4 c. green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini or squash, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 t. black pepper
- 2 t. oregano
- Open two gallon sized freezer bags.
- Place half of the meatballs, sauce, and vegetables in each bag. Add half the pepper and oregano to each bag.
- Remove all the air out of the bags and seal. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- When ready to cook thaw in the refrigerator over night.
- Place the soup in a large stock pot along with 4 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Healthy Make Ahead Freezer Meals
Frozen Fruits and Veggies
- Cauliflower Mash Potatoes by April Golightly
- Easy Whole30 Barbecue Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Make-Ahead Pumpkin Spice Smoothie Bowl by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Vegetable Bisque by Bites of Wellness
- Spinach Baked Ziti Make Ahead Freezer Meal by Sunday Supper
- Vegetable Soup with Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by Pies and Plots
Preparing Some Protein
- Chicken Sausage and Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Thai Chicken by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Make-Ahead & Freeze Black Bean Taco Burgers by Hardly A Goddess
- Salsa Chicken Burrito Bowls by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sang Choy Bao – Chinese Lettuce Wraps by Caroline’s Cooking
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.