Since having a baby I’ve been slacking on my cooking. I still menu plan and go grocery shopping every week but now more often then not my husband ends up doing the actual cooking. That’s fine and he does a great job but I don’t often make any new dishes.
I’ve been trying to make just one new thing a week but some weeks it’s hard. I have the worst time coming up with new side dishes and vegetable recipes. I just haven’t been too inspired and there hasn’t been anything I really want to spend the time making.
I finally sat down with some of my cooking magazines last week and I ripped out about 10 recipes. I decided I would make at least one a week and I’ve stuck to that. Unfortunately my photography is suffering because I care more about taking care of my little man then setting up and getting the best photo. But I am still managing to take photos of my food so excuse the less then stellar photos but know that this dish is really tasty.
I set to work making Broccoli Gratin. Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables and when you put cheese on top it’s delicious. This broccoli is made with a homemade cheese sauce and is topped with a breadcrumb topping. While it isn’t the healthiest side dish recipe, it is still made with vegetables and it’s something kids would really enjoy.
The broccoli gets really tender in the oven and is super tasty with the cheesy garlic sauce. It’s topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and baked until it’s bubbling. This would be a good side dish for the holidays because it’s easy to make and tastes great.
- 6 c. broccoli florets
- 3 T. butter
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- ⅓ c. Parmesan cheese
- ½ c. onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Steam the broccoli in a steamer basket or in a microwave steamer bag until tender crisp. Place the broccoli in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium microwave safe dish. Remove from the microwave and add the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt the remaining butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the milk and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, pepper, and mustard and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cheese sauce over top of the broccoli and mix to coat. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.