We try to eat vegetarian at least once a week if not twice. Usually we will have tofu one day and then either pizza or grilled cheese or some type of vegetarian Mexican dish another day. While I have quite the collection of tofu recipes we usually end up having Buffalo Tofu, Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls, or Tofu Fries. We like all 3 of these dishes but sometimes I want something different.
My brother got me into Brussels Sprouts. I never really liked them much but he makes them a lot and I’ve since come around to enjoying them, especially when they are roasted. We’ve been having them one or twice a month with some of our dinners.
So when I was looking for new tofu recipes and came across Crispy Tofu and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Sesame Glaze. It sounded really good and it was definitely different from any other tofu dish we’ve had. I liked the idea of pairing it with the Brussels Sprouts.
One thing I liked was how easy this recipe was to prepare. I was able to make it while holding the baby and it only took about 15 minutes. Then I put it in the oven and only had to turn it once. I was surprised by how crispy the tofu turned out to be since it was simply tossed with oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce.
This vegetarian meal was really flavorful and filling. We served it over top of rice and then drizzled the glaze on top of the tofu and Brussels Sprouts. I also served eggrolls on the side. My husband and I both really enjoyed it and I’ll be making it again soon.
- 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts
- 1 T. olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. cornstarch
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 2 t. sesame oil
- 1 t. chile paste
- sesame seeds
- 2 c. rice, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the Brussels Sprouts in half and toss them with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Spread out on a baking sheet.
- Press the water out of the tofu then cut it into 3 slices. Cut each slice into 4 strips and then into 4 cubes.
- Toss the tofu with the olive oil, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Spread out on a second backing sheet.
- Bake the tofu and Brussels Sprouts for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chile paste in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve place a half cup of rice into each of 4 bowls. Divide the tofu and Brussels Sprouts between the bowls. Drizzle the glaze on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.