Do you ever scroll past a picture of a dessert and think I’m going to make that some day? Then a year goes past and you see it again and think to yourself that you are going to make that one day. I’ve felt that way about Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes for years. Every time I see them on a menu or on a cooking show I think to myself that I’m going to make them.
The one thing stopping me is that I always thought Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes were hard to make and if you cooked them a minute too long or too short they would be ruined. They are one of those baked goods that I’ve always been afraid to make…until now.
Scrolling through recipes for Valentine’s Day I came across one that I saved for Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2. They are both individual sized and they don’t take many ingredients to make so I figured if they didn’t turn out I wouldn’t be too upset. So while my husband was gone one day I strapped my baby into the infant carrier and we made these Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2.
I was surprised by how easy they were to make. It really didn’t take any more effort that a regular cake. I worried about the timing but I pulled them out of the oven and hoped for the best. When I cut through my cake the molten lava chocolate came dripping out! I scooped out a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoyed this rich chocolate dessert.
I couldn’t believe I had been so fearful of this dessert. It turns out they weren’t very difficult to make and were ready in under 30 minutes. I am glad I tried them ahead of time so I wasn’t worried when I made them for Valentine’s Day. I’ve made these twice now and they came out perfectly both times. So if you like rich, chocolatey desserts give this one a try!
- ¼ c. butter
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 c. vanilla ice cream
- 2 T. chocolate sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray two 6 oz ramekins with baking spray and put a piece of parchment paper in the bottoms. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe dish and melt in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and heat for an additional 20 seconds. Stir and heat for 20 more seconds or until it is totally melted.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar.
- Add the egg and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into each ramekin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 2 minutes. Run a knife along the edges and turn over onto a plate.
- Place a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate on each and serve warm.