I swear winter lasts approximately eight months where I live. It’s funny because I hate snow and I hate the cold but somehow I ended up in a town where it can snow anytime between October and April. That means that while I wish we were outside grilling most of the year the truth is that for seven or eight months I’m inside making soup, pasta, and other comfort foods.
Don’t get me wrong, I like comfort foods a lot. My problem is that many of them are full of fat and calories which is what makes them so good. I’ve been looking for some comfort foods that are lower in calories and are full of veggies so they are healthier for me.
This recipe for Instant Pot Broccoli, Bacon, and Rice Soup is definitely a winner. It’s filled with fresh vegetables and rice. Because it’s made in the Instant Pot it doesn’t take very long which makes it perfect for cold nights when I have to work. The rice makes the soup really filling without adding a ton of fat.
There isn’t a whole lot to this recipe so I was surprised by how much flavor there is in it. Most of the flavor comes from cooking the vegetables in the bacon grease. I like that there are a variety of vegetables in this soup including broccoli, leeks, onions, spinach, and celery. The soup took less then 30 minutes to make from start to finish so it’s an easy weeknight meal.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 c. spinach, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ c. uncooked rice
- 1 T. Parmesan cheese
- 6 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Set the Instant Pot on Saute and add the bacon and oil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crispy. Remove bacon to towel lined plate.
- Add the broccoli, leek, celery, onion, spinach, and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, Parmesan cheese, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on Soup setting for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure and spoon into bowls. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese.