I’ve made a lot of cookies in my days because I love to bake. Cookies are definitely a weakness for me if they are good. I can turn down a lot of sweets but a soft, sweet cookie is not one of them. While there are so many flavors out there, the chocolate chip cookie still remains my all time favorite.
I’ve made a lot of different chocolate chip cookie recipes. I think there are probably close to 10 different versions alone on this blog. My favorite is the Cook’s Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies because they are made with brown butter which makes all the difference in the world.
So while this is yet another chocolate chip recipe this time it’s in the form of a bar and not an actual cookie. It’s a little bit different because it uses all brown sugar and is full of oats. These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are amazing.
Part of what makes them so good is that they are super soft in the middle. Soft cookies are a must for me. But then the edges are golden brown and crisp. The cookies are buttery, sweet, and full of chocolate chips. I used the Milk Chocolate Chips instead of the semi-sweet I usually use and it made for a richer cookie.
These are delicious when enjoyed with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee in the evening. Let’s be honest, these are delicious anytime of day! Since they have oats in them I consider them fit for breakfast as well.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 c. oats
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 T. milk
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and oats. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 27-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 18 bars and enjoy.