I am a cookie snob. I freely admit it. I do not like store bought cookies or cookies that people make from a box unless they doctor it up to make it something special. That’s not to say that I need a fancy cookie. In fact, nothing beats a homemade chocolate chip cookie in my book.
One of my favorite ways to make cookies taste better is to put brown butter in them. The brown butter gives the cookie a slightly nutty flavor which is simply amazing. While you can buy several different bags of chips and put them in these cookies you can also find the Triple Chips out there that have milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate chips all in one bag.
I like the flavor that the three different chips give to these cookies. The dark chocolate is rich and not as sweet, the milk chocolate is smooth and creamy, and the white chocolate is sweet. It’s the perfect combination to go with the brown butter in these cookies.
I ended up making them into bars because it’s so much easier to bake the entire recipe at one instead of watching the cookies, pulling them out of the oven, and making another batch. Plus the bar cookies get crunchy on the edges and are soft and gooey on the inside. These are one of my favorite chocolate chip cookies yet!
- 2¼ c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla (or butter vanilla bakery emulsion)
- 2 c. chocolate chips (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Swirl the pan occasionally while the butter is melted until it begins to brown. Keep swirling or stirring until it begins to smell nutty and you can see it browning. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well. Add in the eggs and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla or butter vanilla emulsion.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Cut into 24 pieces.