I am a big fan of cheese. I'll eat just about any cheese except for blue cheese. I can't do the smell or the taste of it but otherwise I would gladly eat cheese as a snack, on a cheese plate for dinner, or sometimes I'll even have a cheese stick for breakfast.
I make quite a few Mediterranean dishes so we often have feta in the refrigerator. Usually I just buy the already crumbled feta and sprinkle it over whatever dish I am making. It's easy that way and I can keep the container in the refrigerator for a month or two.
However, sometimes I like my feta to have a little more flavor to it. That's where this incredible Mediterranean Marinated Feta comes in. I've had marinated feta before at restaurants as an appetizer or as part of a cheese plate but I've never made it myself. It turns out it's super easy to make.
I wanted to make my Greek Cobb Salads for dinner one night but I wanted to add a bit more flavor to them so I decided to make this marinated feta. To make it you simply cube feta cheese and mix it in a mason jar along with olive oil, lemon zest, and some herbs and spices. It needs to sit over night to absorb the flavors but it's so worth it.
I added in oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt to the feta cheese. When I pulled it out of the refrigerator to try it I couldn't stop eating it! I seriously could have just eaten it out of the jar as a snack. But instead I put it back in so that we could have it on our salads. I loved the spiciness from the red pepper, the flavor from the oregano and rosemary, and the tartness from the lemon peel. It totally made our Greek Cobb Salads!
- ¾ c. extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 t. oregano
- 2 t. rosemary
- 1 t. fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ t. crushed red pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. sea salt
- 8 oz. block of feta, cubed
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, lemon zest, oregano, rosemary, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the feta cheese and toss to coat.
- Pour the mixture into a mason jar and screw on the lid.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours giving the jar a shake several times during this period.
- Use the feta within 2 weeks.