Do you ever get tired of making the same meals over and over again? I feel like for a few years I was doing really well making a new entree for dinner several times a week. Since J has been born I try to make 1 new entree or side dish a week but a lot of times I fall back on old favorites because they are easy to make and usually quick.
I have this problem with tofu. I have like 3 or 4 tofu recipes that I really like and those are the ones I keep on making. I make buffalo tofu over couscous because it takes about 5 minutes of prep times and is a super simple meal. Another favorite is Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls which we really do love but makes 3 or 4 dirty pans and takes a while to make. So I’ve been searching for another tofu recipe that my family will enjoy but is easy to make.
I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for egg roll in a bowl and I had pinned a few of these to make later. Most of them have ground pork in them but I decided why couldn’t I use tofu instead? My husband also asked me to make something with cabbage in it so I thought that Egg Roll in a Bowl with Tofu would be the perfect way to enjoy cabbage in a recipe and make a new tofu recipe.
I like that this recipe is really easy. I pretty much stir fried the tofu then added in all the other ingredients and sauteed them until they were cooked. That was it. It took around 20 minutes from start to finish since you use a bag of coleslaw mix instead of shredding your own cabbage and carrots. I’m all for anything that makes dinner easier.
After I finished making the egg roll in a bowl I thought that it needed something crunchy on top. I mean, what I made was basically the filling but who wants an egg roll without the crunchy outside? I found a bag of Chinese crispy noodles in the cupboard and sprinkled those on top. It was the perfect addition to my bowls.
I put rice on the bottom of the bowls and topped it with my tofu and cabbage mixture. It really tasted like tofu egg rolls, especially with the crispy noodles on top. Try these for a quick and yummy weeknight meal!
- 1 lb. tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t. ginger, grated
- 1 T. sesame oil
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ⅓ c. vegetable or beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 c. crispy Chinese noodles
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the tofu and stir fry for 5-8 minutes or until it is brown and crispy.
- Add in the coleslaw mix, garlic cloves, onion, ginger, and sesame oil and saute for 3-4 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add the soy sauce, beef broth, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls. Divide the tofu mixture between 4 bowls. Top with crispy noodles.