October has been a bit of a stressful month. It's the beginning of the fourth quarter which always means tons of cooking and baking plus I haven't been able to keep up at work. I feel like I'm barely finishing everything I need to finish at work and home most days. I just need a week to catch up on everything.
Because it's been a little bit stressful I wanted to make myself a treat. I figure I'm a baker and if I can't make myself a treat why bother baking. Usually when I think like this I make myself a batch of chocolate chip cookies or some type of cupcake because I love decorating them.
I didn't want to make chocolate chip cookies this time because I've made them several times in the last month. I didn't want to make anything too complicated though so I still wanted to make some type of cookies. After looking in the cupboards I pulled out a bag of chocolate chips and a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread. I thought Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies sounded like just the thing I needed.
While I usually use both granulated and brown sugar I thought that all brown sugar would add a rich flavor to these cookies. I used Imperial Brown Sugar because it has a warm and nutty flavor that worked well with the chocolate hazelnut spread. I initially thought of adding in chopped up hazelnuts but I just added some chocolate chips instead.
The batter seemed fairly thin so I refrigerated it for an hour before baking. This proved to be a great idea. These cookies spread a bit but had a very uniform shape and size. They actually looked like the perfect cookie!
The taste was amazing. These cookies were soft and chewy with a lot of chocolate flavor and a subtle hazelnut taste. I really enjoyed them. While the chocolate was certainly there it wasn't overbearing. These are currently on the top of my Christmas Cookie list because they are so awesome!
- 1 ½ sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ c. Chocolate Hazelnut spread
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop the dough with a 1 inch cookie scoop onto cookie sheets. Bake for 16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 1 minute before removing to a baking rack to cool completely.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe