October has been a bit of a stressful month. It's the beginning of the fourth quarter which always means tons of cooking and baking plus I haven't been able to keep up at work. I feel like I'm barely finishing everything I need to finish at work and home most days. I just need a week to catch up on everything.
Because it's been a little bit stressful I wanted to make myself a treat. I figure I'm a baker and if I can't make myself a treat why bother baking. Usually when I think like this I make myself a batch of chocolate chip cookies or some type of cupcake because I love decorating them.
I didn't want to make chocolate chip cookies this time because I've made them several times in the last month. I didn't want to make anything too complicated though so I still wanted to make some type of cookies. After looking in the cupboards I pulled out a bag of chocolate chips and a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread. I thought Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies sounded like just the thing I needed.
While I usually use both granulated and brown sugar I thought that all brown sugar would add a rich flavor to these cookies. I used Imperial Brown Sugar because it has a warm and nutty flavor that worked well with the chocolate hazelnut spread. I initially thought of adding in chopped up hazelnuts but I just added some chocolate chips instead.
The batter seemed fairly thin so I refrigerated it for an hour before baking. This proved to be a great idea. These cookies spread a bit but had a very uniform shape and size. They actually looked like the perfect cookie!
The taste was amazing. These cookies were soft and chewy with a lot of chocolate flavor and a subtle hazelnut taste. I really enjoyed them. While the chocolate was certainly there it wasn't overbearing. These are currently on the top of my Christmas Cookie list because they are so awesome!
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
A soft and chewy cookies with plenty of chocolate and hazelnut flavor.
- 1 ½ sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ c. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ c. Chocolate Hazelnut spread
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop the dough with a 1 inch cookie scoop onto cookie sheets. Bake for 16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 1 minute before removing to a baking rack to cool completely.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Leave a Reply