This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I’m going to start off by saying I’m not a big fan of French Toast. Dipping bread into a liquid mixture and then putting it in a pan for a few minutes does not cook it enough for me. I’ve done a few French Toast bakes which I enjoy so much better because I like a little bit of crunch to my bread if I’m going to eat French Toast. I also like to add some flavors to make it even better.
This time around I made Caramel Walnut Baked French Toast. I was excited to try it because it bakes in the oven for 25 minutes or so and I figured that would be enough time for the edges to get crispy. Plus, who doesn’t like homemade caramel sauce? This recipe makes a caramel sauce topped with walnuts and the French Toast is baked on top of it.
I used my Swiss Diamond XD Nonstick Square Casserole to make this dish so that it could all be made in one dish. Normally I would have to mix up the caramel sauce in a saucepan and transfer it to my baking sheet but this casserole allowed me to do it all in one pan. I love all the Swiss Diamond Cookware that I currently have and this pan is no exception. The new new Swiss Diamond XD nonstick coating contains 20 percent more diamonds which improves the pans food release properties and heat conductivity and it has an extra thick, cast aluminum body. I love that it goes from stove-top to the oven up to 500 degrees.
I melted the butter and made the caramel sauce in my pan on the stove top. Then I dipped the bread into the French Toast mixture and placed it inside the pan. I baked the toast, flipped it over, and baked it some more. The smell of this dish made my mouth water as soon as I opened up the oven. The French Toast was golden brown and was covered in the caramel and walnuts.
I immediately put a slice on a plate for myself and carried one out to my husband. I didn’t need to add any syrup or powdered sugar or anything to this French Toast. It was perfect as it was. The toast was crisp on the outside but soft on the inside. The caramel sauce was sticky and kept the walnuts from falling off the bread. The walnuts gave the dish an added crunch and the spices really shown through.
This French Toast would be awesome to serve at a breakfast or brunch because it’s super easy to make and it’s pretty impressive once it’s finished. I also think it would be awesome as a dessert with a scoop on vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce on top!
- 12 T. salted butter
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. walnuts, chopped
- 6-8 slices thick French Bread (about 1 inch thick)
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof pan heat the butter on the stove top over medium heat until melted. Add in the brown sugar and stir until mostly combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and walnuts making sure the mixture evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture and then set in the pan on top of the caramel and walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully flip each piece over. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the French Toast is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy immediately.
Tuesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Bird’s Nest Thumbprint Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Blood Orange Danish Puff Pastry Pinwheels by The Gingered Whisk
- Brownie & Ice Cream Peeps Pops by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Caramel Walnut French Toast Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chick’s Nests (aka Haystacks) by Books n’ Cooks
- Chocolate Coconut Toasted Granola by Cooking With Carlee
- Classic Banana Pudding Parfaits by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Cottage Cheese Jello Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Easy Coconut Sheet Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Fresh Key Lime Pie by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Lemon Daisy Tartlets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Monster Cookie Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Orange Vanilla Creme Baked Donuts by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Orange Creme Smoothie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Orange Ricotta Cake by The Tip Garden
- PEEPS Easter Bunny Vanilla cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Small Batch Double Lemon Cupcakes by Family Around the Table
- Spring Snack Mix by Sweet Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Cookie Sweet Rolls with Oatmilk Yogurt Frosting by The Baking Fairy
- Whipped Yogurt Fruit Tart by The Crumby Kitchen
- White Chocolate Popcorn with Sprinkles by Creative Southern Home
- Yogurt Parfait with Barlean’s Orange Creme by Our Good Life
Don’t forget to enter to win one of 8 fabulous prizes!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Eight (8) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.