Ever since I went to a food conference in Florida several years ago and had my very first Moscow Mule I’ve been obsessed. I’ve since made about five different versions and have loved them all. I’m not a beer drinker but man do I enjoy ginger beer. It’s really delicious!
I recently grabbed a bag of Meyer Lemons and used a few to make a coffee cake. I had several left over and didn’t want to waste them because they aren’t cheap! Plus I like that they are a bit sweeter then traditional lemons so they are great in so many different things. I saw a recipe for a Meyer Lemon Bourbon Mule and knew I had to make it!
First things first though, I am not a fan of bourbon. We once had a bottle of it in our house for a good five years because we didn’t really drink much of it. There’s something about the flavor that I just don’t like all that much so while I use it in barbecue sauce and occasionally in a mixed drink I don’t really use it for much else. In fact, I had to go to the liquor store and buy a pint so that I could make this recipe.
Traditional mules have vodka in them so I was surprised that this one had bourbon in it but since it’s winter and it’s cold outside a little bit of bourbon sounded pretty good. I mixed this cocktail up one day when I knew my husband had had a rough day because he loves mules and likes bourbon a lot more than I do. Of course I had to try a sip of it and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was!
I liked that it was sweet but not overly sweet. It definitely had a nice tart flavor in it as well. I could taste the bourbon but it wasn’t overbearing at all. The Meyer lemons and ginger beer really shown through which were the flavors I was looking for. I thought it was a great choice for a winter mule and my husband agreed! We both will be enjoying these Meyer Lemon Bourbon Mules again.
- 2 Meyer Lemons
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 1 c. ginger beer
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Juice two Meyer lemons and pour the juice into a cup. Add in the bourbon and mix well. Pour over top of the ice in the glass.
- Top with the ginger beer and garnish with the mint.
Seasonal Citrus Recipes
- Baked Grapefruit Poppy Seed Donuts by Sweet Beginnings
- Citrus Spa Water by Family Around the Table
- Grapefruit Bourbon Smash Cocktail by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemony Turkey Piccata Meatballs and Spaghetti by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Bourbon Mule by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Meyer Lemon Pound Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Mini Orange Creamsicle Shots by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Parmesan Chicken with Lemon Rice by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Winter Citrus Salad with a Honey Drizzle by Culinary Adventures with Camilla