This past school year was very difficult for me. After having Baby J and being off for 16 weeks I had to return to work and I wasn't ready. I always thought it was crazy when people postponed coming back to work but it turned out I was one of those people. I did not want to come back to work after being home with my baby and I missed him terribly each and every day.
I know I'm lucky because J doesn't have to go to daycare. He gets to stay at home with daddy because his dad works from home. The two of them get to spend some great quality time together each and every day and you can tell how much they both enjoy it. I'm so glad he gets to be at home with his dad instead of off somewhere else.
Another perk of being home with my husband is that I get to see J at work almost everyday. My husband is sweet enough to bring me a coffee (and J) to work most days. I only get to see them for a few minutes but I know that's more than almost anyone else gets to see their baby at work! Our drink of choice is a caramel macchiato so that's what I get most days. Not only is it delicious but it keeps me motivated.
This cupcake was inspired by my favorite drink. I took what I know about the flavors and made it into a cupcake. I went with a coffee cupcake, caramel filling, vanilla bean frosting, and a caramel drizzle. It is pretty much the ultimate cupcake. I topped it off with an espresso bean but next time I'll make it a chocolate covered espresso bean.
These cupcakes are amazing. They seriously taste like a Caramel Macchiato. They are sweet but not too sweet and have the coffee, caramel, vanilla flavor. I love enjoying them with a caramel macchiato or just a regular cup of coffee. It makes for the perfect pairing in the evening or for a midday pick me up!
- 2½ c. flour
- 3 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks)
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¼ c. brewed coffee
- 2 T. espresso powder
- ½ c. milk
- ¼ c. caramel sauce
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 T. milk
- Caramel Sauce
- espresso beans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in 2 muffin tins and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla, brewed coffee, and espresso powder.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk. Add the remaining flour and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins filling each cup ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut a piece out of each cupcake from the top and set it beside the cupcake.
- To make the filling whisk together the caramel sauce, powdered sugar, and salt. Mix until the mixture is thick.
- Add a teaspoon of the caramel filling to the hole in each cupcake and then top with the piece you removed. Repeat for all cupcakes.
- To make the frosting beat the butter in a large bowl with a mixer. Scrape the vanilla bean into it and add in half the powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over top of the cupcakes and top with an espresso bean.
Leave a Reply