Let’s talk about burgers. Burgers are a funny thing. Years ago I wouldn’t touch a burger, especially if it wasn’t made by me. I thought they were pretty gross but as it turns out all burgers are not created equally. Nowadays I am super picky about where I will eat a burger but I always say the best burgers are the ones I make at home.
A few things that make my burgers the best? The first is the beef. I’ve had some pretty low grade beef burgers before. I will only buy Certified Angus Beef brand ground beef for my burgers because I can taste the difference. Certified Angus Beef brand holds their beef up to 10 high standards so I always know I’m eating the best. If I do happen to buy another kind my husband will look at me right away and tell me that he knows it isn’t Certified Angus Beef and I agree!
The other thing that makes my burgers the best is that I don’t add a ton of filler. Burgers don’t need egg and breadcrumbs and tons of seasonings. Make a basic burger patty with high quality beef, salt, and pepper then pile on the toppings if you want additional flavor. While I do still add a small amount of breadcrumbs to help hold my burgers together I don’t pile it in or add eggs anymore. If I do add seasonings besides salt and pepper it’s usually simply garlic or chopped fresh herbs from my garden.
I think a good quality burger allows for some delicious topping opportunities and boy do I have an out of this world sauce for you! It’s Burgers with Bacon Bourbon Burger Sauce and I made the sauce by accident. Well that’s not entirely true. I was trying to make a sauce using bourbon and bacon but the sauce that I ended up making was not what I had envisioned. This sauce is thick, sticky, slightly sweet, salty, and bursting with flavor. I piled it on my burgers along with cheese and that’s all I needed!
My husband was a little skeptical when he tried it but after the first bite he was piling on more! In fact, he then asked if I could make this sauce and use it on top of baked beans as well. I have to tell you, that’s a great idea! While I made it as a burger sauce it would be awesome for baked beans as well. It has bacon, onions, garlic, bourbon, brown sugar, and a few other ingredients that combine in one outstanding sauce.
I could seriously use this sauce on everything. It’s great for dipping fries in, on top of burgers or hot dogs, used as a baked bean sauce, and it could even be the base for a pizza sauce! You might want to double this recipe because you’ll be making it a lot this summer!
- 4 strips bacon
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 T. bourbon
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ⅓ c. ketchup
- ¼ c. vinegar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 ¼ lb. 85/15 ground beef (I used Certified Angus Beef brand)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. roasted garlic powder
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- To make the sauce chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Place the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently for 5-7 minutes or until the bacon is browned. Remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and drain the bacon on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onion to the bacon drippings in the bacon and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the bourbon, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bacon back to the saucepan along with the salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- To make the burgers heat an outdoor grill to medium high heat.
- Mix together the ground beef, salt, pepper, and garlic. Do not over mix.
- Divide the beef mixture into 4 equal balls and flatten into patties. Place a dent in the center of each burger.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side on a grill. Place a slice of cheese on each and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and place the burgers on a bun and top with the sauce.
Bodacious Burger Recipes
- Burgers with Bacon Bourbon Burger Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lentil Mushroom Burger by That Recipe
- Meatloaf Burgers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mushroom Beef Burger by Art of Natural Living
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Short Rib Burgers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepperoni Pizza Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rabbit Sausage Burger with Carrot Horseradish Aioli by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- The Ultimate Taco Burger by Our Good Life