I'm always looking for new ways to eat fish because the only way I really like it is fried. I have such a great fried fish recipe that any time I make fish another way it just doesn't compare. Fried fish isn't the healthiest way to eat it so I try to find other recipes involving fish that are easy, that I'll enjoy, and that aren't fried.
These Cod and Potato Cakes appealed to me for several reasons. First is that they used cod which is one of the only fish I will eat. Another reason is because they have potato in them. Potato is one of my main food groups along with pasta, chicken, and cheese so I'll always try something if it has potatoes in it.
Basically the potato gets cooked and mashed along with the fish. Then you add in some seasonings, breadcrumbs, and vegetables. All of this is molded into little cakes and then pan fried in a skillet. Yes, I know this is still fried but at least it isn't deep fried.
They ended up being pretty decent which for me and fish equates to something good.. I would have them again. They have a very mild fish taste and you can certainly taste the potato. The outside gets crunchy from the breadcrumbs and the inside is soft and hot. The scallions and garlic really work to flavor these.
My husband had his with tartar sauce but I just ate mine plain. We tried to save the leftovers from the next night but I will say they weren't very good. Maybe if I had fried them again they would have been but I'm going to say these are best eaten the day they are made. I think kids and adults would both enjoy them and you can adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- 1 large potato
- 2 T. butter
- 4 scallions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ c. breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- ½ c. vegetable oil for frying
- Poke the potato several times with a fork and put it in a bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes then turn the potato and microwave 5 more minutes.
- Cut the potato in half and let cool 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add in the scallions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the cod and cook for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking. Remove from heat.
- Peel the potato and mash.
- Place the mashed potato in a bowl and add the cod mixture. Mix gently. Add the egg and gently stir to combine.
- Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup scoop level amounts of the cod mixture and drop onto a plate. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a shallow dish combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Remove the cod cakes from the freezer and coat the top and bottom with the breadcrumbs. Place in the pan with the oil.
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer cod cakes to a paper towel lined plate and let drain 1 minute.
Leave a Reply