This post and this recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I received samples from some of the sponsor companies but as always all opinions are 100% my own.
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Scroll down to take a look!
I don’t get to watch a whole lot of TV now that I have a toddler running around all day long. When I do watch TV it usually consists of some type of cooking show. My husband knows that if he leaves me home alone for more than 30 minutes during nap time I’m going to be watching a cooking show. I often get some good ideas for my cooking and baking from watching these.
So when I went to start making a few desserts for Summer Dessert Week the only cake I kept picturing in my head was this awesome Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake! I can’t remember which baking show it was on but I’ve been dying to make one and now was my chance. Not to mention my husband’s birthday was last week and I knew he’d love this as his cake.
Looking at the photos you might be a little intimidated but I’ll be honest with you, this is one of the easiest cakes I’ve made. I saw that because the amount of decorating that goes into it is very minimal. It’s simply a frosted cake with candy melts on the top, sprinkles around the candy melts, and a giant cake pop that looks like an ice cream cone. I bet it took 35 minutes to bake the cake and maybe 20 minutes to decorate.
So how did I make this super fun summer dessert? I started with a basic vanilla cake. I used Adams Best Vanilla Flavor to flavor both the cake and the buttercream frosting. Since I wanted a layer cake I baked two layers so I wouldn’t have to cut them apart. I used my new Anolon Advanced 9 inch springform pan which is awesome! I love the weight of it and it’s super easy to get the cakes out of the pan without any trouble. I’m totally buying another one in the 8 inch because that’s my standard cake size.
Once it came out I worked on my buttercream. I was going to do something fancy but since I was giving the cake some additional flavor with candy melts I just went with vanilla. I used Dixie Crystals powdered sugar along with Adams Best Vanilla Flavor to make the buttercream. Then I was ready to assemble the cake.
To start I cut the bottom layer so that it was flat on top. I used the scraps from the cake to make a large cake pop along with a tablespoon of frosting. I shaped it into an ice cream scoop shape and put it in the freezer. Then I spread the frosting along the bottom layer and sprinkled it with Sweets & Treats Quin Sprinkles in Confetti Primary. I thought this really made the center frosting pop with color. Then I simply put on the top layer and covered it with frosting.
The ice cream scoop was simply taken out of the freezer and put on the middle of the cake. I warmed up some Wilton Peach Cobbler candy melts and poured them over top of the cake ball. I quickly stuck an ice cream cone on top so that the candy melts would hold it in place. Then I spread the remaining melts all over the top of the cake and allowed some to drip down the sides. I finished by sprinkling the Confetti Primary quins over the top.
That’s it! I told you it was easy to make this sweet summer cake. When I presented it to my husband he told me how awesome it was. We cut it and the inside was perfect. There was a clear line of frosting that was studded with color from the sprinkles. The candy melts gave the cake a light peach flavor that worked really well with the vanilla. All in all we both agreed this was one of my best cakes this year.
- 2½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened (1 cup)
- 1½ c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ c. vanilla yogurt
- 1 T. vanilla extract (I used Adams Best)
- 1 c. milk
- 3 sticks butter, softened (1½ cups)
- 4 c. powdered sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1 T. vanilla extract (I used Adams Extracts)
- 1 ice cream cone
- 8 oz. Wilton Peach Cobbler Melts (or your favorite flavor)
- 2 oz. Sweets & Treats primary color quins (or your favorite sprinkles)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottoms of two 9-inch springform pans with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper and the sides of the pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla yogurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add all the milk to the combined mixture and mix until the milk is well incorporated.
- Mix the remaining flour mixture into the cake mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the frosting place the butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed. Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Add more powdered sugar or a teaspoon or two of milk to get desired consistency. Set aside.
- To assemble the cake cut the top of the bottom layer off to make it flat. Place cake scraps in a bowl with 1 tablespoon frosting. Mix well. Shape into a ball the size of a scoop of ice cream and freeze.
- Meanwhile, place the bottom layer on a cake board. Place 1 cup of frosting on the layer and cover it. Sprinkle with the sprinkles.
- Top with the other layer of cake. Cover top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Remove the cake ball from the freezer and place it on top of the cake.
- Place the candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until completely melted.
- Pour some of the melted candy over top of the cake ball until it is totally covered. It's ok if the candy drips onto the cake. Quickly place the ice cream cone on top of the cake ball to make it look like an upside down ice cream cone.
- Spread the candy melts all over the top of the cake and allow some to drip down the sides. If it isn't dripping well mix the candy melts with a teaspoon of coconut oil and use a squeeze bottle to make the perfect drips.
- Sprinkle the top with sprinkles.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream from Fake Ginger
- No Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream from Nik Snacks
- Butterscotch Ice Cream from Pastry Chef Online
- Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats from Family Around the Table
- Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream Bon Bons from Cooking With Carlee
Pies of Summer:
- Creamy Peach Pie Delight from Who Needs A Cape?
- Key Lime Coconut Pie from Doughmesstic
- Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Mini Fresh Strawberry Pies from Cheese Curds in Paradise
- Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie from Sweet Beginnings
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Coconut Custard Almond Cake from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from The Beard and The Baker
- Fiesta Lime Cupcakes from My Baking Heart
- Nana’s Strawberry Shortcake Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berries Pavlova Cake from Home Sweet Homestead
- Buttermilk Chocolate Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Charlotte A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mermaid Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Vanilla Icebox Cake from Books n’ Cooks
- Peach-Basil Coffee Cake from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake from Our Good Life
No Bake Treats:
- No Bake Lemon Chiffon Dessert from Miss in the Kitchen
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake from Desserts Required
- Pineapple Pretzel Fluff Salad from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Raspberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Blogghetti
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake from Everyday Eileen
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dessert from Creative Southern Home
- Sea Shell Beach Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Mermaid Splash Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
- Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake from A Blender Mom
- Cruise Ship Strawberry Crepes from Southern From Scratch
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake from Eat Move Make
- Caramel Sticky Pudding Cake from Shockingly Delicious
- Blackberry Roly Poly from Nancie’s Table
- Strawberry Monkey Bread from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Raspberry Custard Bars with Almond from My Sweet Zepol
- Caramel Corn Cheesecake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Blackberry Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Mini Fruit Pizzas from Jen Around the World
- Sunflower Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Creamsicle Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Viennese Whirls from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mason Jar Caramel Banana Pudding from For the Love of Food
Here are the amazing prizes!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.