In the summer whenever it’s time to eat lunch and I ask my husband what he wants 8 times out of 10 he will answer “cold plate”. Cold plate is pretty much the name we give to anything you can eat out of the refrigerator that doesn’t have to be heated since it’s so warm in the summer. This ranges from cheese and crackers to potato salad or macaroni salad to cold cut sandwiches and potato chips.
One of my husbands favorite items for a cold plate is cole slaw. I’ll sometimes buy it at the market but he much prefers me to make it. Since I don’t eat cole slaw it isn’t on top of my things to make list so I rarely get around to doing it. We have a recipe for Bobby Flay’s cole slaw that he really loves so when I do make it that’s what I usually make.
I wanted to switch things up a bit since this wee we are sharing our favorite picnic recipes. Everyone likes cold salads at a picnic so I thought this would be a good time to make my own version of cole slaw. Since I had half a head of red cabbage in the refrigerate I decided to make Red Cabbage Cole Slaw.
There isn’t much too this recipe and basically as long as I would have cabbage in my refrigerator I could make this because all the other ingredients are staples at our house. We always have onions and carrots which are the other two main ingredients. It wasn’t hard to make this cole slaw and I even liked the dressing when I tasted it so maybe I’ll learn to like cole slaw after all!
The cole slaw looked really pretty since it was purple with pops of orange from the carrots. My husband seemed to enjoy it although he did say he wished the cabbage was cut finer. I shredded some and chopped the rest because I felt like I was demolishing the cabbage when I shredded it. In any case, this is the perfect summer picnic food and it’s a snap to make!
- ½ large head of red cabbage or 1 small head, shredded or finely chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 2 T. onion, shredded
- ⅓ c. mayonnaise
- 3 T. sour cream
- 1 T. brown mustard
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. celery seed
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Place the cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, brown mustard, dry mustard, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the dressing into the cabbage mixture and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Stir before serving.
Picnic Party Recipes
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hungry Bear Picnic Salad by Simply Inspired Meals
- Lemon Dill Orzo Pasta Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red Cabbage Cole Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sourdough Sandwich Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Italian Pasta Salad by Art of Natural Living