With summer coming up I know we'll be going to a lot of picnics and parties. For many years I would bring cakes or pies but then I had to carry them in my cake carrier, bring a sharp knife, and a server. It was a lot when I was going to a picnic, especially if we were outside. With Mother's Day being today I wanted to make something easy but also something that was fresh and delicious.
Nowadays I’ve been making individual desserts. It's so much easier to stack cakes, cupcakes, or parfaits in jars and take them to a picnic or party. They are easy to transport and everyone can have their own serving. This year I'm planning on making individual angel food cakes in a jar.
These are a great dessert for a party or picnic because they are so easy! You can buy all ready made ingredients to put in the jars or if you have time you can make the ingredients yourself. I usually make the angel food cake from a box mix, then buy whipped cream, and I use lemon curd that I've canned. Lemon curd is super easy to make but if you don’t have time simply buy yourself a jar!
Each recipe will make 6 half pint jars. The jars are layered with angel food cake rounds, whipped cream, lemon curd, and fresh fruit. I enjoy making them with blueberries and cherries but I've also made them with kiwi, peaches, and strawberries. It's really up to you! For Mother's Day I made 12 jars and it took just over 20 minutes which is much faster then it takes for me to make a typical cake. My mom loves angel food cake and fresh fruit so this was a great dessert for her!
So if you are looking for a delicious individual dessert this summer, you might want to give this one a try!
Angel Food Cakes in Jars
Layers of angel food cake, whipped cream, homemade lemon curd, and fresh fruit make these the perfect individual sized dessert for summer.
- 1 angel food cake, cut into 2 layers
- 2 c. whipped cream
- 1 c. lemon curd
- 2 c. fresh fruit, sliced or cut (my favorites are strawberries and blueberries)
- 6 half pint jars
- Using a round biscuit cutter, cut 6 circles out of each layer of angel food cake. Set aside.
- Place the whipped cream in a piping bag with a star tip or in a zip top baggie. Cut the end off of the bag if using and set aside.
- Place the lemon curd in a zip top baggie. Cut off the end and set aside.
- To assemble the cakes, place one cake round in the bottom of each jar. Pipe whipped cream, about ½ inch thick, on top of each cake.
- Pipe ½ inch of lemon curd filling on top of the whipped cream then sprinkle with fresh fruit.
- Gently put another cake round on top of the fruit in each jar. Pipe ½ inch whipped cream on top of each cake.
- Finish the cakes by filling the remainder of the jars with the fresh fruit.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
*To transport the cake, simply screw the lids on the jars and place the jars in a shallow box.*
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma's Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma's Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline's Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook
Angel food cake is probably my favorite cake. They look beautiful in their jars!
Perfect picnic food 🙂
Joy | The Joyful Foodie
I love that these are so pretty and versatile! The jars really make them perfect for toting around, too.
Such a great idea for dessert! I love that they are so easily customizable.
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere
This is such an incredible idea! I can't wait to use this for our next picnic!
Love this idea, Heather! Makes them so easy to transport!
I cannot WAIT to trythese for a family picnic. Thanks for sharing!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm
Adorable, like individual little trifles. Happy Mother's Day
Cindys Recipes and Writings
It's that time of year when portable desserts do come in handy! Yum!
Kelly @ TastingPage
Not only do these look delicious, but they also are perfect like you say for the road trip or summer picnic.
Valerie Cathell Clark
This is the cutest idea ever! I love these little "trifles" in jars! YUM!
Thanks! It just makes them super easy to take places all summer long!
Such a wonderful, light dessert! Perfect for Mother's Day and all summer long!
susan @ the wimpy vegetarian
Such a fun, fun way to have dessert. Love it!
Desserts in jars are fun, love these!!
I know it's Mother's Day but this made me think of my dad. He loved angel food cake and would have really enjoyed these little cakes.