Today was one of those days where I wanted something sweet to eat but I didn't want cake or cookies. I've had a lot of both of those lately and wanted something different. I did what I normally do when I want to bake but have no idea what to make; I went into the kitchen to see if anything inspired me. The first thing my eyes landed on was my fruit bowl where I had around 10 apples. A 3 pound bag was on sale for $1.88 this week so I had to buy them!
My first thought was to make an apple pie which sounds good, but then we would have an entire pie which I would then eat. No good. The wheels were turnings when I thought of the incredible apple dumplings the Mennonite women sell at the farmer's markets. Since they consist of basically the same ingredients as an apple pie, but in individual servings, I knew it was a jackpot idea.
I didn't really have any recipe so I just made them on a whim. I stuffed the apples with a cinnamon sugar mixture and topped the crusted apples with a sugar syrup. I ended up making 4 of them and I'm not ashamed to say that both my husband and I ended up eating 2 each the day I made them. The pie crust gets crunchy and golden brown on the outside while the baked apple is stuffed with a gooey cinnamon mixture. The syrup on top became sticky and sweet. One tip, allow the apples and syrup to cool about 15 minutes before serving as the syrup turns into a thick, caramel mixture which is MAG on top of the apples.
These dumplings were perfect for this weeks #SundaySupper theme Stuff, Wrap, and Roll! The brown sugar mixture is stuffed inside the apples and then the apples are wrapped in pie crust! This was such a fun theme and I can't wait to see what everyone else made.
Apple Dumplings (a Hezzi-D original)
4 apples (any type)
½ c. brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
½ t. salt
3 T. butter, melted
1 refrigerated pie crust
For the syrup:
½ c. water
½ c. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Core the apples and then peel them. Place on a cutting board.
3. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and melted butter.
4. Unroll the refrigerated pie crust and cut into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a square. Place an apple on each piece of pie crust. Stuff the center of the apple with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
5. Fold two edges of the pie crust up on top of the apple. Fold the other two edges up and pinch them to seal the apple inside. Place the apples in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
6. Meanwhile, heat the water and sugar in a microwave safe dish for 1 ½ minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add in the cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over top of the apples.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, spooning the syrup mixture on top of the apples twice during baking, until the crust is golden brown.
8. Remove the apples from the oven and cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm in a bowl.
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu's Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por - Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl's Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Rustic "Wrapped" Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent "Roll" Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma's Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear's Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida's Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
baked apples are so homey -- the aroma just lights up my kitchen
I absolutely LOVE stuffed baked apples, this is wonderful
Great recipe, this apples look amazing.
Tammi @ Momma's Meals
This is genius! Wow I bet my daughter would love making these with me!
These are gorgeous, Heather. The crispy crust is to die for but the syrup in the bottom of the baking pan! Oh, my double goodness!
They look amazing! I kind of want those for breakfast today 🙁
Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
Ooohhh my goodness! I so wish I had one of these gorgeous goodies with my coffee this morning!!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere
These look so tasty!
Renee - Kudos Kitchen
My eldest son will adore these. Thanks for the recipe!
Linda | Brunch with joy
I'm not a fan of apple desserts, but your recipe looks so delicious. What a fantastic idea to have it wrapped in pie crust. Now, how could i say no to this....
I LOVE apple desserts. This just sounds fabulous!
Julie @ Texan New Yorker
I love this! I'm thinking I may try this idea with peaches in a few months. Looks delicious!
Total and complete comfort food for me. Oh how I love apple dumplings and nice to find an easy version.
Betsy @ Desserts Required
What a great idea! The apples look great and the recipe is very easy to follow.
Nancy @ gottagetbaked
3 pounds of apples for under $2?! That's amazing! These easy apple dumplings are even more amazing - Heather, they look fantastic! Sugary-cinnamony apples and pie crust are always welcome in my mouth. You definitely shouldn't be ashamed to admit you and you husband ate all four. That sounds like something I would do by myself 😉
These look so comforting! Where are you buying apples? I just paid 3.99 a pound!
I don't think I've ever had an apple dumpling before! However after looking at yours, I think I need to fix that!
Melanie | Melanie Makes
YUM! These sound delicious! I think I would've eaten all four!
Oh, its a Bratapfel in a pie crust ~ YUM!!!
The Wimpy Vegetarian
These look soooo good! What a great idea!
Great idea! I love this - portion control, and the next best thing to apple pie!
Exactly! Although I could have eaten two!
I love playing around with apples, they are so versatile, this looks scrumptious!!
Constance Smith (@FoodieArmyWife)
Mmmmmm, I LOVE apple desserts - especially these! YUMMY!
Oh, how I love apple desserts...and these apple dumplings look irresistible!!!
I don't know if I've ever had an apple dumpling, I think it's time to start!
If you haven't had one you definitely need to try these easy ones!
Seduction In The Kitchen
I love Apple Dumplings, but admit I never made them. Yours looks soooo divine!
My kids would LOVE this! I think I'll make it tonight! Thanks for the recipe!
Marlene @Nosh My Way
I can see I am going to get in trouble being a part of #Sundaysupper. I am going to want to make dishes I have never attempted before. Just like your fantastic apple dumplings.
Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom)
LOVE it! This is one way to get my son to eat his fruit! 🙂
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers
Oh my gosh, your dumplings look incredible! I haven't had an apple dumpling in forever! Just amazing!!
These would be so good this morning.
Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch)
I've got some apples rolling around on my kitchen counter that need to turn into this - like immediately. 🙂 Looks delicious.