Who likes grilled cheese? I love them! Grilled cheese is something I make on the weekends for lunch a lot because they are super easy and have two of my favorite things in them...bread and cheese! However, I have been known to make a few gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches like the Grilled Cheese with Aged Cheddar, Apples, and Caramelized Onions or the Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese.
Today some of my blogging friends and I are sharing recipe for fun grilled cheese sandwiches to get ready for National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day which is coming on on April 12! So make sure you take a look at them and bookmark the ones you want to try for next week. There are so many good ones I want to try them all!
My recipe is for an Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese. I wanted to make a sandwich that really highlighted the cheese but added in some other flavors as well. Gouda is a cheese that melts well but doesn't go all over the place so it's perfect in a sandwich. It has a buttery taste that is both sharp and slightly sweet. I thought it would pair well with a crisp, sweet apple.
When I started making this sandwich I felt like it needed something else. While it did have a buttery and sweet taste I thought it needed something to give it a little bite. I found the perfect thing with brown mustard. I actually tried this with Dijon but it was a little too much. The brown mustard actually worked really well with both the Gouda and the apples.
This sandwich was delicious. The bread was crisp, the cheese was melted but firm enough to hold the apples in place, the apples were sweet and crunchy, and the brown mustard added just a bit of a bit. It was really a great tasting sandwich and all of the flavors worked well together. So grab yourself a handful of ingredients and make this tasty gourmet grilled cheese sandwich in just minutes!
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 1 T. butter
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- ½ apple, thinly sliced
- 1 T. brown mustard
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Butter all 4 slices of Italian bread.
- Place two slices of the bread in the plan. Place 1 slice of Gouda cheese on top of each followed by 4 slices of apple and then another slice of Gouda cheese.
- Quickly spread the remaining 2 slices of bread with brown mustard on the side opposite the butter. Place the bread mustard side down on top of the sandwiches in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the cheese is melted and the bread is brown and crisp.
- Remove from the pan, cut sandwiches in half and enjoy!