Thin sliced chicken stuffed with cream cheese, spinach, and onions then wrapped in crispy bacon make the perfect (and easy!) date night dinner.
Last week I had my weekly menu all ready to go. I generally plan my meals on Friday, make a grocery list and put in my order Saturday, and then I pick up the groceries on Sunday. In general I plan five dinners a week. I figure that way we can have leftovers one night and go out one night.
Does it always work out? Nope! I would say most weeks I make 4 out of the 5 meals and then on the fifth day I either use the ingredients I have to make something else or we have an easy dinner like grilled cheese and soup. It just depends on the week. I rarely make a new recipe with random ingredients but this week that's just what I did.
I had planned on having Chili Lime Tofu for dinner on Tuesday and it didn't happen. By Friday it still hadn't happened and we rarely have tofu at the end of the week. Since tofu lasts a while I wasn't worried about using it up but I knew I needed to use up the fresh spinach. I started thinking what I could make and my first thought was soup but we had soup Monday and Tuesday so I wasn't ready for that. Then I had an idea.
I thought I could stuff chicken breasts with the spinach and maybe some cheese and call it a day. When I checked the refrigerator I had out thin sliced chicken breasts so my mind immediately went to chicken roll ups. Then I looked around and saw bacon that needed to be used up and this Bacon Wrapped Chicken Roll Ups recipe was born!
I made the filling with a combination of sauteed onions, garlic, and spinach then mixed it with cream cheese. I spread the mixed onto the thin chicken breasts then rolled them up. I quickly grabbed one or two pieces of bacon depending on the size and rolled it around the chicken. Then I used two toothpicks to hold the bacon in place.
I baked it in the oven until the chicken was cooked but then I realized that while the bacon was cooked it was not crispy. In order to make it crispy I simply broiled the bacon wrapped chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side to give it a crispy finish. While you don't have to do this, I highly recommend it to get the bacon crispy which is how most people enjoy eating it.
For being a quick put together meal this chicken was surprisingly tasty. My husband thought it was really good as well. There was tons of flavor in it and the chicken didn't dry out at all. The bacon added flavor and a saltiness while the cream cheese added a nice tang and creaminess. All in all this one was a winner!
- 1 lb. thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 t. olive oil
- 4 oz. fresh spinach
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices bacon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and spinach and saute for 2 minutes or until the spinach is just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the spinach mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add in the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spread several tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of each chicken breast, leaving a small edge so the mixture doesn't leak out, and roll it up.
- Take one or two pieces of bacon and wrap around the chicken. Secure with two toothpicks.
- Place the chicken in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil for 2-3 minutes. Flip the chicken over and broil 2-3 additional minutes so that the bacon is crisp on both sides.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1076mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 44g
Date Night Dinner Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Roll Ups by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Creamy Portobello Alfredo by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Grilled Rib Eye with Green Sauce by That Recipe
- Halibut Seafood Oscar by Art of Natural Living
- Pan Seared Filet Mignon with Mushroom Red Wine Sauce by Making Miracles
- Peppercorn Steak with Mustard-Wine Sauce by Sweet Beginnings
- Pesto Crusted Salmon by Books n' Cooks
- Salmon with Garlic Tarragon Cream Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Vegetable Dum Biriyani by Magical Ingredients