Rich, chewy fudge brownies topped with fluffy mocha frosting makes these Frosted Mocha Brownies the perfect dessert with a cup of coffee or tea.
I used to make a lot of boxed mix brownies but ever since I made my first batch of homemade brownies I haven't been able to go back. It only takes a few minutes whip up a batch of brownies at home and they are so much better then any boxed mix I've found. Plus homemade brownies are a favorite of my husband.
These mocha brownies are made with melted chocolate to make them extra fudgy and ground coffee to give them a pop of coffee flavor. I also added some strong brewed Toasted Praline coffee from Door County Coffee to the batter because I find that brewed coffee really elevates the chocolate flavor.
For this recipe you will need:
- chocolate chips
- ground coffee
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- brewed coffee
- powdered sugar
To make the brownies you start by melting the butter and chocolate chips together and set aside to cool slightly. Then you combine the flour, sugars, salt, and ground coffee. The butter mixture goes into the flour mixture and gets mixed until just combined.
After that you add in the eggs, vegetable oil, brewed coffee, and vanilla, and stir until your batter has formed. Pour it into an 8 x 8 baking dish and bake until cooked through.
While your brownies are cooling you can make the frosting. The frosting is a fluffy buttercream made with a bit of cocoa powder, some melted chocolate, and more ground coffee. You have to work fast with this frosting because as the chocolate cools off it makes it harder to mix together. Once everything is whipped together it makes a delicious buttercream with a great consistency.
One bite of these brownies and both my husband and I were hooked. The flavors of chocolate and coffee melded together in the perfect brownie. We enjoyed them with a cup of coffee and shared a few with our friends who also said they were crazy good.
For the brownies:
- 1 stick butter
- 1 ½ c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. flour
- ½ t. salt
- 1 T. ground coffee
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. brewed coffee
For the frosting:
- 6 T. butter
- 1 ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. ground coffee
- ½ c. chocolate chips, melted
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 T. milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the butter and chocolate chips. Microwave in 20 seconds intervals, stirring after each interval, until both are melted and well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, ground coffee, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the eggs, oil, and brewed coffee, and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make the frosting put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until creamy.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Frost the cooled brownies and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares are serve.
Recipe adapted from Cheese Curd in Paradise
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g