Winter is officially here. We had our first brush with snow just last weekend. It wasn't much but it was enough to remind me that the cold days of winter are here. I live in a town where we get a lot of snow and have a lot of cold days. It makes me wish for summer all year round.
When I think about summer I think of the sun shining, running around in my bare feet, and fresh produce in abundance. Because of the climate I live in, I don't get to have fresh local produce in the winter. Thankfully I can still get delicious produce from around the United States. One of my favorite fruits to get in the winter is fresh Florida Strawberries! Every time I bite into the sweet, juicy Florida Strawberries it's like having a taste of summer all year round.
I know a lot of people like eating strawberries on their own or in desserts and I certainly do too but strawberries can be incorporated into main dishes as well. One of my favorite ways to incorporate strawberries is to put them in an entree salad and to make a homemade vinaigrette using them. Did you know that just 8 medium strawberries equal your daily requirement of vitamin C?
When making an entree salad it's important to have a protein, a fruit, cheese, and something crunchy. If I'm making a fancy salad I like to use nuts for crunch and for added protein. In this case I started with a base of lettuce and wanted to put Florida Strawberries and goal cheese on top. I always think strawberries and goat cheese is a winning combination.
From there I decided on a balsamic glazed pork to go on top of the salad. The balsamic glaze adds a slight sweetness to the pork which pairs well with the delicious flavor of the nutritious Florida Strawberries. The tart goat cheese adds creaminess to the salad. For crunch I added sliced almonds on top of the salad. Finally I added in some red onions because every salad needs another vegetable.
Since the salad has both strawberries and balsamic in it, it was easy to decide on making a strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. So that's it! Everything you need to make a nutritious and delicious entree salad in about 25 minutes.
The great thing is that Florida Strawberries are in season now so you can have a taste of summer all winter long as well! Want to learn more about Florida Strawberries? Check them out on Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Website and then visit Strawberry Sue on Twitter | YouTube | Website
- 1 lb. pork tenderloin, sliced into 1 inch medallions
- ½ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. honey
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- black pepper and sea salt
- 8 c. mixed greens
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ c. sliced almonds
- ½ c. goat cheese, crumbled
- 16 Florida strawberries, halved
- ½ c. olive oil
- ½ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 t. Dijon mustard
- ⅓ c. Florida strawberries, pureed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. honey
- In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, and Dijon mustard. Mix well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the pork medallions with salt and pepper. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the pork medallions and cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Pour the balsamic mixture into the skillet and cook the medallions for 3-4 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and the glazed has coated them. Remove from heat.
- Place 2 cups of mixed greens on each of 4 plates. Divide the red onions among the salads.
- Divide the sliced almonds and goat cheese between the four salads and sprinkle on top of them.
- Arrange 8 strawberry halves on top of each salad.
- Place 6 pork medallions on top of each salad.
- Combine all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a bowl with a tight fitting lid. Put the lid on and shake vigorously for 30 seconds or until combined.
- Serve the salads with the vinaigrette on the side.
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Show us your Strawberries photo contest presented by #SundaySupper and @flastrawberries
To Enter: Share a photo featuring a strawberry using the hashtag #FLStrawberry and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card
Contest runs from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16
Winners will be chosen at random and announced during the LIVE #SundaySupper Twitter Party 01/17/16
Must be US resident 18 years of age or older
This promotion is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don't miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.