The official drink of The Preakness, the Black Eyed Susan is a mixture of vodka and bourbon with sweetness from fresh squeezed orange juice and a tang from sour mix.
I'm not a native of Maryland. I'm an implant. I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived there until I turned 22. In fact, I signed the lease on my apartment in Maryland on my twenty-second birthday. We won't talk about how old I am now but I've been living in this state ever since.
I was never really into horse racing before I moved here. The first time I watched the Kentucky Derby with my then boyfriend and current husband I looked at him in disbelief and said, "That's it?" I felt like there was a lot of hype for a few minute race.
Quickly I realized that in Maryland the most important race is The Preakness because it's held in Baltimore. My husband and I began watching it every year as something fun to do. While I always knew the Mint Julep was the official drink of the Derby I just recently realized that the Black Eyed Susan, our state flower, is the official drink of The Preakness.
I had everything I needed for the drink except fresh squeezed orange juice so I waited until market day and grabbed a few juicy oranges with my order. Of course once I had everything I couldn't find my hand juicer so I ended up using a spoon to press the juice out of the orange.
I like how simple this drink is. It's really just 4 ingredients plus garnish but it's really bright and vibrant. I mixed together the fresh orange juice, vodka, bourbon, and sour mix in a tall glass. Then I filled the glass with ice and gave it a stir.
If you find the drink is too strong for you then you can add a splash of bubbly water or lemon lime soda. Then garnish the drink with a cherry and an orange wedge. It's such a pretty drink and it packs quite a punch!
Since it's called a Black Eyed Susan I put a black straw in to represent the middle of the flower but it isn't needed. It's just a fun little addition.
So the next time you are watching The Preakness make sure you make yourself this cocktail to drink!
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. bourbon
- 2 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 oz. sour mix
- 1 oz. bubbly water or lemon lime soda (optional)
- 1 cherry and 1 orange slice for garnish
- Combine the vodka, bourbon, orange juice, and sour mix in a tall glass. Mix well.
- Fill the glass with ice, give it a swirl, and top with bubbly water or soda if desired.
- Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
Recipe from Mom 4 Real
- Beef on Weck by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Black Eyed Susan Cocktail by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Blackened Fish Tacos by That Recipe
- Chipped Chop Ham Sandwiches by Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Orange Spritzer by Family Around the Table
- Easy Virginia Peanut Soup by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Fried Cheese Curds by Art of Natural Living
- Indiana Popcorn Cookies by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Okie Style Grilled Onion Burger by Pandemonium Noshery
- Walleye: It's a Michigan Thing by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Wisconsin Butter Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise