As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
If I’m going to have a celebration for my 3 year blog anniversary I’m going to need a drink! Normally I would make something alcoholic but this fresh blackberry lemonade is so good, and so perfect for summer, that I have to share it for this celebration! In addition to the lemonade, I also have another big giveaway today! *This giveaway is now over*
Now ever since I moved to Frostburg I’ve had wild berry bushes in the backyard. At the first house we lived it there were a few berry bushes on the edge of the woods on our property and I was able to harvest a few each year. Now at this house we have another berry bush on the edge of the woods and I was able to fill a very small bowl with berries this time, but as I cut back the bush and work with it, I think next year we’ll have a lot more.
Last week I was lucky enough to get a large container of blackberries in our CSA share! I was super excited this. I really wasn’t expecting much in the way of fruits and to have a huge container filled with juicy berries had me rubbing my hands in anticipation of what I could make.
Initially I made cheesecakes in jars and topped them with the berries. They were seriously awesome. Then I had some on my yogurt in the morning which was another creamy, sweet, and tart combination. For my final creation with the blackberries I’ve been dreaming of making a berry lemonade. I have no idea why other then I’ve seen some beautiful photos lately showing glasses of lemonade and with the summer heat I’ve been craving them.
I didn’t have a recipe for the lemonade but the concept of making lemonade is simple. Fresh squeezed lemon juice, sugar, and water. That much I could handle. Then I started thinking about the dreaded calories and having too much sugar and so I used part sugar and part sweetener. I then pureed the blackberries and added them to the mixture. I tossed in a few fresh blackberries and had a beautiful deep pink lemonade. It was so pretty that I poured it into our crystal glassed for my husband and I to drink it.
It wasn’t overly sweet and the blackberries and lemons added a tartness. It was extremely refreshing and I was lucky enough to be able to take a big glass into work with me for 3 days after I made it. I can’t wait to make it again with another type of berry!
Blackberry Lemonade (a Hezzi-D original)
4 or 5 lemons
1/2 c. sugar
6 packets of Truvia
1 c. fresh blackberries
1. In a small saucepan combine the sugar and Truvia with 1 cup of water. Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice from them. I squeezed them over a small bowl so that I could pick out any seeds that fell into the juice.
3. Pour the fresh lemon juice along with the blackberries into a food processor. Process until a puree has formed.
4. Pour the puree into a 2 quart pitcher. Add the water and sugar mixture. Pour cold water into the pitcher until it is full. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
5. Refrigerate until ready to drink. When ready to drink fill a glass with ice and pour the lemonade over top. Add a few lemon slices and fresh blackberries as a garnish if desired.
**TastyBite and Bob’s Red Mill provided the products for my giveaway but any opinions about either product are my own.**