This post is sponsored on behalf of #Choctoberfest. Our generous sponsor, Sprinkle Pop, has provided us with products for recipe creation. As always, all opinions are my own.
I have been all about space and the galaxy since J was born. We had a hard time deciding on a theme for his room but when we did we decided on a space theme. Since he was born we’ve found that there is a ton of space themed clothing, furniture, and toys for kids! It’s been awesome being able to match everything to his room theme.
Since I’ve been so in to space I thought it would be fun to make galaxy cupcakes. I’ve seen a lot of space and galaxy themed food items over the past year or two but I’ve yet to make any. I did make Galaxy Easter eggs last years and they were really fun to make.
When making galaxy food there is usually a blue and black background that is dotted with pinks, purples, blues, and silver. I couldn’t wait to get started! I decided to make Blue Velvet Galaxy Cupcakes. I started with chocolatey blue velvet cupcakes in black cupcake liners.
I was going to do black velvet cupcakes but I thought dark blue cupcakes would be prettier. Once they cooled I topped them off with a swirled buttercream frosting that was blue and black. The only problem I had was finishing them off. I wasn’t sure how to make them look like the galaxy.
Luckily Sprinkle Pop has an awesome Milky Way Sprinkle Mix that is a combination of pink, purple, blue, and black sprinkles with silver stars and accents. It makes any baked good look like it’s from outer space! I heaped on the Milky Way Sprinkle Mix on top of my dark frosting it looked amazing! I felt like I was looking at miniature galaxies.
- 1¼ c. flour
- 3 T. cocoa powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 T. blue food coloring
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. vinegar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 T. milk
- black food coloring
- blue food coloring
- 2 oz. Sprinkle Pop Milky Way Sprinkle Mix
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with black cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in the egg, blue food coloring, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add half the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Combine the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the cupcake batter and mix well.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting put the butter in a bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and milk and mix well.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. Add black food coloring to one bowl and blue to the other. Mix well.
- Pour the black frosting into a piping bag and the blue frosting into another piping bag. Place both of these bags into another piping bag with a swirl tip in it. Pipe the double colored frosting onto the cupcakes to make a galaxy background.
- To finish off the cupcakes sprinkle them with the pink, purple, blue, and black Milky Way Sprinkle Mix. It also has silver stars in it to make the cupcakes look like a galaxy.