I just received a delicious new Gluten Free cookbook from one of my favorite companies, Bob's Red Mill. The cookbook opens with a section on Gluten Free Grains. It talks about what grains are naturally gluten free, how to cook them, and what to do with them. There is a section on gluten free pantry items and gluten free items to have on hand.
For the filling:
- ⅔ c. chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the cake:
- 1 ½ c. amaranth flour
- ½ c. potato starch
- 1 teaspoon Gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅔ c. fine crystal cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ c. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ c. buttermilk
- 1 ½ c. blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, combine hazelnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together amaranth flour, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bow, whisk together sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in buttermilk until blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spread half the batter evenly in prepared pan and sprinkle with filling. Dollop the remaining batter on top of the filling (it need not cover the filling completely).
- Bake in preheated oven for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Recipe from Bob's Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook by Camilla V. Saulsbury, Robert Rose Inc., 2015.