This week our recipe swap theme is Blogger's Choice hosted by Taste of Home Cooking. This is always my favorite week because I can browse the blog I receive and choose any recipe I want to make. I love going through blog's that I don't normally go through and usually end up following that person because I love so many of their dishes.
This blog was no exception. I had a great time looking through Jenna's Cooking Journey. I really wanted to make one of the desserts from her blog but I've been making a ton of cookies the past few weeks so I forced myself to look at my second favorite category: chicken. I wasn't disappointed. I found a wonderful recipe for Bruschetta Chicken Pasta. Chicken and pasta are two of my favorite things and my favorite bruschetta recipe has balsamic vinegar in it and so did this recipe. I could already tell it was going to be a winner.
What I liked best about this dish is that the real star is the chicken. The pasta comes underneath it and is basically a blank slate for the flavors in the bruschetta chicken. The original recipe doesn't have any sauce on the pasta but I added just enough to give it a bit of flavor but not enough to overwhelm the flavor of the chicken. The balsamic vinegar works so nicely with the tomatoes and the mozzarella cheese on top. My husband and I both really enjoyed this chicken and pasta dish.
Bruschetta Chicken Pasta (adapted from Jenna's Cooking Journey)
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
1 c. breadcrumbs
1 t. paprika
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 t. parsley
1 t. oregano
1 t. Italian seasonings
½ t. salt
1 t. black pepper
12 oz. pasta (any shape)
4 slices mozzarella cheese
1 c. marinara sauce
1. In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley, oregano, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Mix well and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
2. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Combine the breadcrumbs and paprika in a large freezer bag. Drop in the chicken breast halves and shake the bag to coat the chicken breasts. Remove from the bag, shake off the excess, and place in the skillet with the oil olive.
4. Pan fry the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side or until they are almost fully cooked. Spoon the tomato mixture on top of the chicken breasts and then top each with a slice of cheese. Continue cooking until cheese has melted.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and toss with marinara sauce.
6. Spoon the pasta onto a plate and top with a chicken breast. Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.