I've been going crazy for apples the last few weeks. My local market has had 5 pound bags of apples on sale for $5 and I just can't stop myself from buying a bag every time I go to the market! I've been doing a lot of canning with them but I've also been making desserts and taking them to work, sharing them with my students, and eating them myself.
I really wanted an easy dessert to make that was still incredibly tasty. These apple squares were great. Everything is mixed in a bowl and then poured into the bar. The squares are cake like in some ways, cookie like in other ways, with a soft middle and a crunchy top. They were a hit with both kids and adults.
Apple Squares (adapted from Allrecipes)
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
½ c. butter, melted
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. white sugar
2 t. vanilla
3 large apples, cored, peeled, and diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the apples.
5. Spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Have you ever made them with granny smith's? They look like they'd be so good with tart apples! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursday.
Your Apple Squares look delicious, we will really enjoy this recipe. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction
These look yummy. Can't wait to try them. By the way I'm a new Twitter follower.
Sounds delicious. There is nothing that screams fall and winter like apple-themed desserts!
I love apple desserts. This sounds delicious!
I've been on an apple kick too. These sound perfect. Definitely pinning these.
I love anything and everything with apples in them! These look super easy and very delicious. 🙂
Eva @ Eva Bakes
Yum - I bet they would taste amazing with a cup of apple cider too!
These look perfect for fall!