As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Usually when I ask Frank what he wants for dinner next week he tells me that whatever I cook will be good. This week when I asked he immediately said buffalo chicken tacos. I was surprised but glad he chose that particular dish because I’ve had my eye on a recipe for it and even had one pinned.
Normally we eat our soft tacos with large flour tortillas but this recipe called for smaller, corn tortillas. This dish also called for blue cheese which I will not eat by my husband loves. I bought a chunk of blue cheese for him to eat with these tacos while I bought some mozzarella for myself. This was a fast recipe to cook up and would be great for a weeknight meal.
The chicken is cut into small pieces an tossed with the buffalo sauce. Then any vegetable of your choosing can be placed on top of the chicken and then finished off with cheese. I supposed ranch or blue cheese dressing could be added to this as well but I didn’t think it needed any. The spiciness of the chicken was cooled by the cabbage and avocado. I liked using the smaller tortillas as well; they ended up being the perfect size for these spicy tacos.
Buffalo Chicken Tacos (adapted from Prevention RD)
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1/3 c. flour
1 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. Frank’s red hot
1 T. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
8 small corn tortillas (6 inch)
For the toppings:
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 oz. blue cheese
2 oz. mozzarella cheese
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1. Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. In a large bag combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the bag and shake until the pieces are coated.
3. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides. Once the chicken is finished, remove to a plate and toss with buffalo sauce.
4. Wipe the pan out and then add the remaining olive oil. Add the red and green peppers to the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and heat for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
5. Place a corn tortilla on a plate. Top with chicken and then peppers. Sprinkle with avocado, cabbage, choice of cheese, and scallions. Serve with ranch or blue cheese if desired.