As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Everyone knows my obsession with blondies. They are the vanilla of brownies and I love them. I like to put white chocolate in the, I like to put cranberries in them, I like to put cinnamon chips in them. Pretty much I like blondies any way I can have them. So when I saw caramel apple blondies I couldn’t wait to make them.
The blondies start out just like any other blondies. Then the apples go into the mixture. This makes the mixture a little more moist then traditional blondies, but it gives it a ton of apple flavor. There are also some pecans in the blondies which gives them a nice crunch.
Once the blondies are cooled a homemade caramel frosting goes on top. It is creamy and delicious and is sprinkled with pecans. The entire combination is amazing. I could have eaten the entire pan myself.
For the Blondies:
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. butter, melted
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 c. pecans, chopped
For the Caramel Frosting:
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. melted butter
- 3 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, butter, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the apples and pecans.
- Pour the batter the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting heat the brown sugar, butter, and milk in a heavy saucepan. Whisk continuously until the mixture boils. Boil one minute.
- Remove from heat and add in the vanilla and powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Place the frosting in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until it thickens up.
- Pour the frosting over the blondies. Quickly sprinkle with pecans.
- Wait until the frosting hardens. Cut into 24 squares.
Adapted from Gonna Want Seconds