In case you haven't noticed, I love a good dessert. I'm all for eating a simple cookie but when I have time I like to make eye catching desserts that are as fun to look at as they are to eat. This fun dessert is a combination of a few of my favorite treats all wrapped up into one! The base of this treat is a sweet blondie filled with butterscotch chips and white chocolate chips. Then it's topped off with homemade caramel corn. The whole dessert is "glued" with a sugary sealant that holds it all together.
Looking at this cookie was almost as fun as eating it. The caramel popcorn ball sitting on top of the edible blondie cup was quite a sight. They are great to display on a cupcake stand or to wrap up and give as edible gifts. I took them to school and the kids went crazy over them!
I'm sharing this as part of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats, hosted by Brenda of Meal Planning Magic! Any holiday dessert table would look great with these caramel corn blondies as the centerpiece.
Are you a blogger who wants to be a part of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats too? Join in the fun any time! Click here for more details and to sign up.
Caramel Corn Blondies (slightly adapted from A Spicy Perspective)
For the Blondies:
1 ½ c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
¾ c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
½ c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
¾ c. white chocolate chips
½ c. butterscotch chips
For the Popcorn:
8 c. air popped popcorn
⅔ c. brown sugar
⅓ c. butter
2 T. corn syrup
1 t. sea salt
1 t. vanilla
½ t. baking soda
For the "glue":
⅔ c. sugar
⅓ c. water
1 T. butter
½ t. salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 18-20 cupcake liners in 2 cupcake tins.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl beat the butter and sugars until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time until beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and mix well.
4. Add the butter and sugar mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffins tins. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Remove the cookies from the oven and using the back of a tablespoon, gently press down in the middle to create a cookie cup. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
7. To make the caramel corn put the popcorn in a large brown paper bag (grocery bag).
8. Combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well and microwave for an additional minute. Remove from the microwave, stir in the baking soda, and immediately pour over top of the popcorn in the bag. Shake the bag hard to combine.
9. Roll the top of the bag down and microwave the popcorn in the bag for 1 minute. Remove and shake hard. Return to microwave and heat for an additional minute. Remove and shake hard.
10. Open up the bag and using wax paper to protect you hand, press the caramel corn into 20 small clumps. Place on a sheet of waxed paper to cool. Place a popcorn ball on top of each cookie.
11. Combine all ingredients for the sugar glue in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes. Stir well. Heat for an additional minute. Remove from the microwave, stir well, then drizzle over top of the caramel corn and blondie to "glue" them together. Use sparingly!