Well here it is November and it’s time for the #BreadBakers challenge! I had to sit out last month because life got too crazy. I ended up having a ton of orders for cookies, cupcakes, and other treats so some of my regular blogging had to be put on the back burner. But now I’m back and ready for this months theme which is root vegetables hosted by Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories.
When I was thinking about root vegetables in bread my first thoughts were carrots and parsnips. While I could make a tasty carrot bread, it always turns out more like a cake then a bread. So I went searching to see exactly what vegetables fall into the root category and I came up with onions. While they come from a bulb, they are considered root vegetables.
I knew I could make a delicious bread with caramelized onions in it so I decided on a Caramelized Onion Cheddar Cheese Bread. I added in the cheddar cheese to balance out the sweetness from the caramelized onions. Then I tossed in some fresh rosemary that is still growing in my garden to give it a bit of an earthy flavor.
I actually made this bread two different ways. It makes two loaves so I did a simple loaf where I just rolled it with the cheese and put it in a pan to make a regular loaf. With the other loaf I rolled the cheese in the middle, cut it in half, then braided the halves together. The braided bread looks so much prettier and has a great ratio of cheese to bread.
The thing I like best about this bread is that the outside is crunchy and golden brown while the inside is soft and almost melts in your mouth. The onions add a nice sweetness to the bread. Then to have the swirl of cheese and rosemary just adds to this incredible bread. In fact, I can’t wait to make it again with different cheese and herbs! I’m thinking maybe a creamy cheese with fresh chives would be good.
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 packet yeast
- 1⅓ c. warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 t. sugar
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 t. salt
- 5 c. flour
- 2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 t. fresh rosemary, minced
- Place the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the onions are caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the yeast and warm water to a large bowl. Give it a quick stir then allow it to sit and foam for 5 minutes.
- Add in the milk, sugar, olive oil, black pepper, salt, caramelized onions, and 4 cups of the flour. Mix until a dough forms.
- Add in additional flour as needed until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and put the ball of dough in the bowl, turning once to coat with spray.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and put in a warm area for 1 hour.
- After an hour the dough should double in size. Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Make each half into a 16 x 6 rectangle (or something close to that).
- Sprinkle half the cheese and rosemary on each dough rectangle, leaving a ½ inch seam on all sides. Roll the dough tightly like a jellyroll so that it resembles a long rope. Pinch the ends and sides to seal the cheese inside. Cut each dough roll in half and pinch the centers closed.
- Take two dough rolls and braid them together. It will be a loose braid.
- Spray two bread pans with cooking spray and set one braid in each pan. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges, and remove from pan.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beetroot Bread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Caramelized Onion Cheddar Bread from Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Caramelized Onion Gouda Casatiello from Hostess at Heart
- Carrot Spiced and Teff Bread from kidsandchic
- Colocasia Root (Taro Root) Flatbread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Garlic and Herb Wreath Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Garlic Cheese Bombs from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Ginger Sweet Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Honey Beet Bread from Ambrosia Soulful Kitcnen
- Korean Onion Bread from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Potato Dinner Rolls from Cook’s Hideout
- Pull Apart Onion Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Rustic Parsnip Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Sourdough Onion Pockets from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Stuffed Aloo Parathas from Sneha’s Recipes
- Sweet Potato Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.